Just found an Autolite D0AF 12127-AC distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Today I was at a swap meet looking for anything Mustang. Loads of Chevy S**t, hardly any Ford let alone Mustang. I did pick up an Autolite D0AF12127-AC dual diaphragm distributor. I knew this was NOT for Cleveland, but possibly 302 or 351W, the latter being correct. The body is the same as the Cleveland version except for the gear, so it has usable parts! The slot plate has L 13 and L 18 cut-outs with a restrictor sleeve on the post, current set on the L 13 slot. Without measuring, I think that would put it in the L 10 range (20* crank)

What got me interested was the advance canister which has the wide crimp band. It did hold vacuum on the advance side, but not the retard side. These are quite hard to find I believe so I was wondering if anybody knows if or where these can be rebuilt and restored. I don't really care about the retard side working, but it would look better than an aftermarket one I currently have on my Mach 1 for that "correct appearing" look.

Geoff.

Today I was at a swap meet looking for anything Mustang. Loads of Chevy S**t, hardly any Ford let alone Mustang. I did pick up an Autolite D0AF12127-AC dual diaphragm distributor. I knew this was NOT for Cleveland, but possibly 302 or 351W, the latter being correct. The body is the same as the Cleveland version except for the gear, so it has usable parts! The slot plate has L 13 and L 18 cut-outs with a restrictor sleeve on the post, current set on the L 13 slot. Without measuring, I think that would put it in the L 10 range (20* crank)

What got me interested was the advance canister which has the wide crimp band. It did hold vacuum on the advance side, but not the retard side. These are quite hard to find I believe so I was wondering if anybody knows if or where these can be rebuilt and restored. I don't really care about the retard side working, but it would look better than an aftermarket one I currently have on my Mach 1 for that "correct appearing" look.

Geoff.
The sleeve is factory installed. Chuck

Geoff.
The sleeve is factory installed. Chuck
Not sure what you mean Chuck

Geoff,

Great that you were able to score something that you might actually be able to use. Most of the really desirable NOS parts from the 60's and 70's have been snapped by "Certain" people and priced out of range for us commoners.

The DOAF-AC  distributor is listed for a 351W.

Vehicle application is 1970 Full size Ford and Mustang 351W 2bl, A/T with IMCO (IMCO is Ford speak for "Improved Combustion Emission System") and 1970 Shelby GT350 with A/T. Not sure how many 351 W engines were production installed in the 70 Mustang since the 351C was supposed to replace the H & M 351 W's in the 1970 Mustang. Never saw one but I was told some were in early built 70's that were produced in 1969.

The 70 Shelby's were revinned left over 69 models so the W engine would be correct in a 70 GT350.

Chuck can correct me if wrong, but the sleeve he may be referring to is the wide band on the vacuum advance. I know the 390 GT and 428 enthusiasts are paying a tidy sum for NOS vacuum advances for their Concourse cars! To bad yours went on "Holiday" and never came back. Not sure if anyone is rebuilding those but you could probably check on some of the 428 Forums.

The service replacement advance for your DOAF-AC is D2PZ-12370-F (Motorcraft DD-259-A).    :)

D2PZ-12370-F (Motorcraft DD-259-A)

The sleeve is the same sleeve on the advance limit post that is mentioned in the original post. Chuck

The sleeve is the same sleeve on the advance limit post that is mentioned in the original post. Chuck
 Yeah, sorry Chuck, I figured that out about 1 second after I posted my reply. Duuuh!

Not had any time to play with it today as I was at a car show. I only paid 10 bucks Cdn for it, so if I have only 1 useful part in it, I'm all good. I'll take a pic and post it later.

Geoff.

Geoff,

Great that you were able to score something that you might actually be able to use. Most of the really desirable NOS parts from the 60's and 70's have been snapped by "Certain" people and priced out of range for us commoners.

The DOAF-AC  distributor is listed for a 351W.

Vehicle application is 1970 Full size Ford and Mustang 351W 2bl, A/T with IMCO (IMCO is Ford speak for "Improved Combustion Emission System") and 1970 Shelby GT350 with A/T. Not sure how many 351 W engines were production installed in the 70 Mustang since the 351C was supposed to replace the H & M 351 W's in the 1970 Mustang. Never saw one but I was told some were in early built 70's that were produced in 1969.

The 70 Shelby's were revinned left over 69 models so the W engine would be correct in a 70 GT350.

Chuck can correct me if wrong, but the sleeve he may be referring to is the wide band on the vacuum advance. I know the 390 GT and 428 enthusiasts are paying a tidy sum for NOS vacuum advances for their Concourse cars! To bad yours went on "Holiday" and never came back. Not sure if anyone is rebuilding those but you could probably check on some of the 428 Forums.

The service replacement advance for your DOAF-AC is D2PZ-12370-F (Motorcraft DD-259-A).    :)

D2PZ-12370-F (Motorcraft DD-259-A)

Thanks Steve. I was able to find some basic info on Mustang Tek.com, but even that did not list the 'AC' suffix, so thanks for the "expanded" version. I figured it would be for the 351W as it's a bit taller than another the guy had that he had (rightly or wrongly) labeled as a 302. The gear size is quite a bit smaller than on the 351C as we all know. 

As I replied to Chuck, if I get just 1 part out of it, it'll be worth the 10 bucks Cdn I paid for it. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Geoff.

Looks just like the dizzy (original to the car) and it's a 302 Windsor.
Yes, it's the same as my friend Jack's car which he has owned from new. The main difference is the cam gear as far as I know other than the advance slot size, spring type and tension, i.e. curve.

This one is 351W, not 302, which I think is a different height casting. When I found this one, the guy had another marked as a 302 and it was quite a bit shorter although as it was also a Duraspark, that may have been a reason, not sure, had little dealings with 302's

One of the members in the past needed one for his 429 and I found one and bought then he did not take it, advance only. I do not know where I suck it. Was in the old closed parts house I got the 351 C Stant thermostats out of. 

Would be tough to restore one of them. Would have to split it above the crimp to get it apart, then weld a new band in place, grind and plate then make a die to crimp it back together. Would be very expensive then you have to have the new diaphragm that is probably hens teeth.

One of the members in the past needed one for his 429 and I found one and bought then he did not take it, advance only. I do not know where I suck it. Was in the old closed parts house I got the 351 C Stant thermostats out of. 

Would be tough to restore one of them. Would have to split it above the crimp to get it apart, then weld a new band in place, grind and plate then make a die to crimp it back together. Would be very expensive then you have to have the new diaphragm that is probably hens teeth.
Yes, to restore would definitely be near impossible, but stranger things happen. I had thought about just buffing it all and re-dichromat the ring only. I can live without vacuum advance and don't need the retard side either. First, I have to get the canister off. The damn soft metal screws broke of course. Even a new release product I bought, guaranteed to work, did not get through the osmosis between the screws and the aluminum body. Oh well, I'll have to take it to my old workplace, set it up on a mill and drill em out I guess.

Geoff.

Latest posts

Back