K & N Filters

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I didn't think there was a whole lot to the claim, but I think I am going to go out and get me a new filter. Someone mentioned a dual conical filter with a "hat" can someone send me a link or give me some more info. I have seen that at shows before but didn't think to write down any info.
I mentioned the "hat". It's just something I may try. If you go to Vortech supercharger site, click on "Air Compontents". Check out the Vortech PowerHat. They offer one with a single and a dual inlet. I would show a pic but I'm not sure how to post a pic.

I see K&N offers (2) air filters for the 351. One for $52 and one for $60. Any idea what the difference is?
I will bite......8 dollarsrofl
Funny:D I was looking for a more technical answer as to why K&N offers two filteres for a 73 mustang? I don't see much difference...

The only thing to watch out for is on mass air vehicles. If you over oil the element a film can build up on the MAF sensor element and cause hunting and surging.

The only thing to watch out for is on mass air vehicles. If you over oil the element a film can build up on the MAF sensor element and cause hunting and surging.
Great point on the oiling. Getting them clean and allowing them to completely dry is key before oiling. A little really goes a long way. I've had my K&N Intake on my 05 Mgnum since May of 05 and have yet to have an issue with the mass air flow sensor.

So........

There is every possibility that due to inappropriate oiling technique or proper dry time or something, I was completely responsible, but my experience with a K&N on my Maxima was a damaged MAF sensor. I had used a K&N on 3 other vehicles with no complaints whatsoever. After a week or so with the K&N on the Maxima, it wouldn't start. The Nissan tech told me that the K&N allowed too much debris to pass through and it damaged the MAF sensor. He told me that he saw K&N's blow up MAF's on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps it was oil and not debris, or a combination of both, but the end result was about $400 for repairs, not to mention the $80 I spent on the filter.

While I'm absolutely willing to accept full responsibility in that I might not have oiled it properly, or perhaps not allowed the filter enough time to dry, I'm not as willing to put another K&N on my car, Nissan, Mustang or otherwise. If it was indeed my own fault, then I feel it was way too easy to inadvertently screw it up. I can buy cases of paper filters and replace them every oil change for years and still not come close to the cost of that one MAF sensor and K&N.

That's just my 2 cents.

So........

There is every possibility that due to inappropriate oiling technique or proper dry time or something, I was completely responsible, but my experience with a K&N on my Maxima was a damaged MAF sensor. I had used a K&N on 3 other vehicles with no complaints whatsoever. After a week or so with the K&N on the Maxima, it wouldn't start. The Nissan tech told me that the K&N allowed too much debris to pass through and it damaged the MAF sensor. He told me that he saw K&N's blow up MAF's on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps it was oil and not debris, or a combination of both, but the end result was about $400 for repairs, not to mention the $80 I spent on the filter.

While I'm absolutely willing to accept full responsibility in that I might not have oiled it properly, or perhaps not allowed the filter enough time to dry, I'm not as willing to put another K&N on my car, Nissan, Mustang or otherwise. If it was indeed my own fault, then I feel it was way too easy to inadvertently screw it up. I can buy cases of paper filters and replace them every oil change for years and still not come close to the cost of that one MAF sensor and K&N.

That's just my 2 cents.
Wow! That's the first I've ever heard of that. How much was the sensor?

It was about 8 years ago, so I'm a little fuzzy on how much the sensor was vs labor, but the total bill was right around $400. My guess is that the sensor was close to $275 - $300.

Wow. So maybe there is something to this idea that K & N's could be harmful. I would think that maybe newer cars are a bit more sensitive to that oil that may come off the filter. And as you stated, oiling it properly might be the key here. I think I am going to still give one a try as most everyone else on here as stated they have had no problems with it.

Wow. So maybe there is something to this idea that K & N's could be harmful. I would think that maybe newer cars are a bit more sensitive to that oil that may come off the filter. And as you stated, oiling it properly might be the key here. I think I am going to still give one a try as most everyone else on here as stated they have had no problems with it.
What year car are you thinking of puting this on? Either way, it's not difficult to oil them properly. Just read the directions. It takes just a few minutes.

To be honest, I always buy two filters. That way, when I remove the dirty one to wash, I have a clean dry filter to replace it with. That way, I don't have to wait for it to dry before I oil it. Just a thought.

Back