Leaking PS box - need help replacing seals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

well the steering box works fine but as soon as i put the 521 in it, it started leaking and after 1 night of sitting there could be a good 9 inch stain on the garage floor. and that stains continues. however the motor is back out and its accessible so its a good time to do it while its out.

i looked in two magazines and couldn't find the seals. a link to the parts would be appreciated.

i don't know where its leaking but i think its at the rear. is there alot involved to take it our or can it be done on the car?

Last edited:
well the steering box works fine but as soon as i put the 521 in it, it started leaking and after 1 night of sitting there could be a good 9 inch stain on the garage floor. and that stains continues. however the motor is back out and its accessible so its a good time to do it while its out.

i looked in two magazines and couldn't find the seals. a link to the parts would be appreciated.

i don't know where its leaking but i think its at the rear. is there alot involved to take it our or can it be done on the car?
According to CJ Pony Parts "old" Catalog, the part number is D1AZ3B584A for the Ford P/S pump and seal kit.

The price was $9.95 in their 2010 catalog for that kit.

BT

The case is probably bent. Someone probably tried to tighten it by placing a bar against the case.
nobody put a bar against the case, i'm the only one who touches the engine bay of my mach.

Just a thought, but before you pull the box apart have you checked the hoses? I have the same thing going on with my convertible and it seems to be the low pressure return hose to the pump although when looking from underneath it seems like the leak is at the back of the steering box.

On my car somebody along the way has put a different hose clamp on it but the hose seems to have been cut(judging by the end of the hose).

Do you guys have pressure fittings on both hoses on the steering box or is the low pressure hose clamped like a GM product? I can't remember for sure but always thought my previous Mustang had pressured fittings on both the in and out hoses on the steering box.

Just a thought, but before you pull the box apart have you checked the hoses? I have the same thing going on with my convertible and it seems to be the low pressure return hose to the pump although when looking from underneath it seems like the leak is at the back of the steering box.

On my car somebody along the way has put a different hose clamp on it but the hose seems to have been cut(judging by the end of the hose).

Do you guys have pressure fittings on both hoses on the steering box or is the low pressure hose clamped like a GM product? I can't remember for sure but always thought my previous Mustang had pressured fittings on both the in and out hoses on the steering box.
well i took a look out there and to see if i could find where the leak is coming from but the leak has stopped and its probably because the fluid has ran low in the box to even leak. i took off the lines and they seemed not to be that tight so i don't know if they just needed to be tightened and its hard to tighten them while the engine is installed because its tight and i have a MC that the lines go towards the engine and alot more brake line for a line locker and adjustable prop valve.

i will see if the service rebuild is local? i don't think i want to tackle even a simple reseal on this steering box unless its super easy.

i will also look into putting an aftermarket cooler since the header goes so close to the steering box.

Last edited:

Call Napa auto, rebuilt box less than $200. Ours was leaking too

Back