let's hear what other hobbies or passions you all have

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see others with similar hobbies/passions other than our 197123 Mustangs. I'm into almost everything that's under the sun like dirt bikes to scuba diving. Indoors are restoring vintage r/c cars, boats and helis. I get bored quick and put some the hobbies on hold and seeing your interests sparks the ole passion again, but too many hobbies can be overwhelming, so that spark gets checked quick LOL! Currently into cafe racers and bobber motorcycles. Working on a Honda cb750 cafe, 1972 900cc, 1974 1000cc and a 1981 1200cc Harley Ironheads. Recently started wrenching on the 1973 Mach1 and hopefully will get that one road worthy soon.

Right now most of my free time is dedicated to reintegrating with my family. It's truely amazing how much changes after being seperated for over a year. Really enjoying helping the kids with homework, I feel like I'm reliving 1st, 4th and 7th grades all over again. (I'll bet my teachers would be getting a great laugh at that one!) Once spring finally shows itself here in Kansas fishing will be the next great event followed by numerous soccer games and dance (daughter, not me.. LOL). Oh and then there's that "honey-do list" that never ends. So along with still being an active duty Army Officer on a daily basis, life is good!!

Right now most of my free time is dedicated to reintegrating with my family. It's truely amazing how much changes after being seperated for over a year. Really enjoying helping the kids with homework, I feel like I'm reliving 1st, 4th and 7th grades all over again. (I'll bet my teachers would be getting a great laugh at that one!) Once spring finally shows itself here in Kansas fishing will be the next great event followed by numerous soccer games and dance (daughter, not me.. LOL). Oh and then there's that "honey-do list" that never ends. So along with still being an active duty Army Officer on a daily basis, life is good!!
Good stuff, Marty! About time you let us know a bit more about you. :) I still think you're the guy that pointed me in this direction with a PM over in the Vintage forum - wasn't that you back in the beginning of August? Good to see you again, so to speak.

Doc

Here is some pics of my other hobbies. During the winter months I go off- road in southern California deserts. ( Ocotillo wells and Glamis sand dunes) My wife and I ride Honda ATV 400EXs and have a turbo 2386 Volkswagen powered dune buggy. Are home away from home is a 40ft weekend warrior 5th wheel witch I tow with my F350 powerstroke.
I've got a 400EX myself. I've done quite a bit of work to it, too.

rB27l.jpg

RwBir.jpg

OdX3P.jpg

And dad has an '85 350X. Thing is a beast.

ZbLxn.jpg

Good stuff, Marty! About time you let us know a bit more about you. :) I still think you're the guy that pointed me in this direction with a PM over in the Vintage forum - wasn't that you back in the beginning of August? Good to see you again, so to speak.

Doc
Thanks Doc, I'm usually on here in the background reading posts and enjoying. Great people and great information.

Here is some pics of my other hobbies. During the winter months I go off- road in southern California deserts. ( Ocotillo wells and Glamis sand dunes) My wife and I ride Honda ATV 400EXs and have a turbo 2386 Volkswagen powered dune buggy. Are home away from home is a 40ft weekend warrior 5th wheel witch I tow with my F350 powerstroke.
I've got a 400EX myself. I've done quite a bit of work to it, too.

rB27l.jpg

RwBir.jpg

OdX3P.jpg

And dad has an '85 350X. Thing is a beast.

ZbLxn.jpg
Very cool my wife and i have ridden in the small dunes just north of Las Vegas by the nascar track. Some times in late march we do Dumont dunes. I see were both running White brothers mufflers and maybe same nerf bars.Are those OMI air defeltors. The wife and i white bro's rev boxes and UNI filters. My wifes 01 and my 03 have been jetted thats pretty much it. I sold my 85 350X to by my 400. My wife and I had 86 ATC 250Rs for years sold them to build the buggy. My wife wanted to ride again so in 01 she bought hers and i bought the 350x then my brothers girl friend son needed a bike so i had him work for me he was using it all the time any way so i bought my 400. Mike

Very cool my wife and i have ridden in the small dunes just north of Las Vegas by the nascar track. Some times in late march we do Dumont dunes. I see were both running White brothers mufflers and maybe same nerf bars.Are those OMI air defeltors. The wife and i white bro's rev boxes and UNI filters. My wifes 01 and my 03 have been jetted thats pretty much it. I sold my 85 350X to by my 400. My wife and I had 86 ATC 250Rs for years sold them to build the buggy. My wife wanted to ride again so in 01 she bought hers and i bought the 350x then my brothers girl friend son needed a bike so i had him work for me he was using it all the time any way so i bought my 400. Mike
Yeah, Nellis Dunes. It's a nice spot for day trips but a lot of the people that ride there now don't respect anything and have the place trashed. We ride pretty much everywhere in the south west. Dumont, Glamis, Armagosa, Rasor, Sand Hollow, Coral Pink, et cetera. The nerfs are AC Racing pro pegs and the air scoops are homemade.

My "short" list of mods is:

• 88mm (2.5mm over, 426cc) 11:1 Piston

• Stage 2 Cam, CRF450 Cam Chain

• 42mm 450r Carb (Jetted for E85 fuel)

• ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit

• Custom Fit KFX 450 Shocks

• Burgard +2 A-Arms, GForce Extended Rear Hubs

• ITP Holeshot HDs, Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles

My dad's 350X basically hasn't been touched since the day he bought it off the showroom floor. Only thing he has done is basic maintenance and that thing runs as strong as ever. Couldn't even estimate the miles/hours it has on it. Really shows how reliable these machines can be.

Yeah, Nellis Dunes. It's a nice spot for day trips but a lot of the people that ride there now don't respect anything and have the place trashed. We ride pretty much everywhere in the south west. Dumont, Glamis, Armagosa, Rasor, Sand Hollow, Coral Pink, et cetera. The nerfs are AC Racing pro pegs and the air scoops are homemade.

My "short" list of mods is:

• 88mm (2.5mm over, 426cc) 11:1 Piston

• Stage 2 Cam, CRF450 Cam Chain

• 42mm 450r Carb (Jetted for E85 fuel)

• ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit

• Custom Fit KFX 450 Shocks

• Burgard +2 A-Arms, GForce Extended Rear Hubs

• ITP Holeshot HDs, Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles

My dad's 350X basically hasn't been touched since the day he bought it off the showroom floor. Only thing he has done is basic maintenance and that thing runs as strong as ever. Couldn't even estimate the miles/hours it has on it. Really shows how reliable these machines can be.
Very nice. The 350x are like that dam near bullet prof. Were is sand Hollow. We have been talking about doing Pink Coral for vacation. When is the best time to go. Mike

Very nice. The 350x are like that dam near bullet prof. Were is sand Hollow. We have been talking about doing Pink Coral for vacation. When is the best time to go. Mike
Sand Hollow is in between St. George and Hurricane in Utah. So it's about an hour-hour and a half closer than Coral Pink. Sand Hollow also has a lake, so it's also good if you're into boating, jet skis or fishing. It gets into the 100s during summer, though. So be prepared for that. Coral Pink is a nice Spring/Summer spot due to the high elevation. It gets cold and sees a fair amount of snow during the winter. Just be prepared to push your bike to the limit if you go into the dunes, the altitude robs horsepower. The trails are absolutely beautiful, though. Here is a picture of one of the canyons up there. One of my favorite places to ride.

Y3nUEh.jpg

I love it because the dunes are in the middle of a forest.

36955_1239023474720_1803289557_483583_7195233_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy traveling, especially cruises....watching football & boxing, but my real passion is riding my motorcycle with my honey, but I didn't start riding bike till I was just abut 60.......when I think about all the years I missed riding bike, it makes me sick

JoanBillatthePitt06-2-1.jpg

i restore r/c cars. used to race them professionally.

100_2572.jpg

100_2569.jpg
Hey 72HCODE,

My other passion is Vintage R/Cs, but been a few years

since I've done anything with them. Are you still heavily into the hobby? I've searched for years for the ultimate R/C toy.... The Otaki Mustang Mach1. Finally got it a few years ago and that was the end of my collecting. I'd love to see your collection. My very first is a Tamiya Blackfoot and still my favorite Tamiya just because LOL! Are you a member at Tamiyaclub? Buggies are also another favorite. Very nice buggies you have there! Seeing yours makes me wanna get back into it and probably not a good thing right now LOL! Very expensive hobby! All into nitro and gas 1/4 scalers also.

Well I'm into pretty much anything that has to do with cars. I have just gotten into knife making. I have some Blade steel I'm going to be ordering soon.

This is my first knife made out of mild steel (bad idea) but at least I know I have the tools to do it.

Here's the design

Scan.jpg

Here's the blank

100_0967.jpg

Here it is sharpenedish

100_4596.jpg

I guess I like any type of fabrication and I have been known to make a custom tool every once and a while.

This is a custom socket I made for my dad. It is for taking out a shower/bath water valve.

100_4567.jpg

I'm into a bit of offroading with my landrover,a bit of waterskiing,also in N.Ireland we can get permisson to close public roads for motorsport events always well worth watching and finally I go to France and Belguim every year to visit the battlefields.

I've played music since I was about 8 or 9 years old. Mostly guitar but I can play just about any instrument to some extent. Here is a video I did awhile back. I'm playing all music other than the drums which are drum tracks.

Another hobby is metal detecting which I've done for 30+ years. You'd be amazed at the stuff you can find others have lost over the years. I paid for 2 of my project mustangs from stuff I've found metal detecting.

Here is a picture of just the rings I found last year.

allrings2010.jpg

Here is a picture of the gold I found in 1 quarter(3 months).

424allgold2.jpg

Here is a picture of the $4,000 I got when I sold some of my finds at the first of the year.

4k.jpg

aside from driving... I enjoyed cooking and baking and some DIY home improvements.. and also some sorts of photo editing!!!

my favorite is baking tarts at home!!

tart.jpg

Astronomy and lasers.

Own a 10" Dob and have access to computer controlled 12 and 16 inch Meades.

Most of my lasers are HeNe's with a couple of DPSS at 532 and a diode at 670.

Then there is the single line Argon Ion at 488. A real energy hog but brilliant

blue light.

mike

I'm a computer geek at work, so most of my hobbies revolve around that. :D

- Building computers (not as much, but still enjoying tearing them apart and upgrading them)

- Working on my VMWare and NAS servers (education purposes)

- Gaming (not as bad as before, but whenever I have time)

- Music (lyrics, vocals, and keyboarding...used to be part of a church choir, then joined a couple of bands while I lived in LA...good times)

- Writing (currently working on 3 novels...mostly for fun...mostly sci-fi/fantasy)

- Researching (for writing, lol)

- Watching Japanese Anime and participating at anime conventions (concerts, dances, presentations, cosplays, karaoke, and shopping)

- Going to music performances (especially when a Japanese band/singer decides to roll through Seattle)

- Working on cars (and hopefully in the future, return to autocrossing and open track racing)

- Watching Korean dramas with my girlfriend (aka soulmate/life-partner since we're not into the marriage thing)

- Keeping said girlfriend happy (she loves classic Mustangs and working on them, she's a keeper...'nuff said!) :D

- Last but not least...enriching my kids' lives while keeping them in line so that they'll have a fulfilling and meaningful life (1 stepson, 1 son...giving them a strong father figure so that they'll know how to work hard, play hard, listen to and treat a woman right) :)

Rich

Back