Letters or Script

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peche 71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande, 351 Cleveland, restoration project
1973 Convertible, 302, slight restoration
I'm trying to determine what is correct for my 71 Grande Coupe. I just looked at all the photos in the gallery for the 71's. On the trunk lid, I've seen the Mustang letters, the Mustang script, and sometimes nothing at all. What's correct?

I've seen the letters below the keyhole, and one where they were above. What's correct? Mine does not have any holes for the decals or letters.

The '71 Grande trunk lid had the individual "MUSTANG" letters across the trunk lid, located horizontally about midway between the lock and the bottom edge of the lid. The letters were stick-on.

In '72, all individual stick-on letters on trunk lids were superceded by a one-piece "Mustang" script emblem, attached with pegs through 3 holes with barrell- clips on the right hand side of the trunk lid. The emblems were the same those used on the fenders.

73 was the same as 72, but 71-73 Mach 1s never recieved any type of trunk-mounted letters or script emblems.

71 fastbacks ( non Mach 1s) came with a full width stripe with "MUSTANG" letters cut out in the stripe in approximately the same location as the stick-on letters on 71 coupes, converts and Grandes.

All 73 body styles had the script emblem on the trunk lid except Mach 1.

I think...

The '71 Grande trunk lid had the individual "MUSTANG" letters across the trunk lid, located horizontally about midway between the lock and the bottom edge of the lid. The letters were stick-on.

In '72, all individual stick-on letters on trunk lids were superceded by a one-piece "Mustang" script emblem, attached with pegs through 3 holes with barrell- clips on the right hand side of the trunk lid. The emblems were the same those used on the fenders.

73 was the same as 72, but 71-73 Mach 1s never recieved any type of trunk-mounted letters or script emblems.

71 fastbacks ( non Mach 1s) came with a full width stripe with "MUSTANG" letters cut out in the stripe in approximately the same location as the stick-on letters on 71 coupes, converts and Grandes.

All 73 body styles had the script emblem on the trunk lid except Mach 1.

I think...
Oh my...how easy to remember...NOT!

I'd prefer the letters myself, but saw the different options, and was pretty sure the letters did not go above the keyhole. Thanks.

Back