Low beam adjustment.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hi guys, took the must among out in the dark to see how my new Narva 100+ h4 globes go.

I need to adjust them. I know how to adjust them, just need to know if there's any easy tricks to do like at home with the lights on a wall, etc.

Or is it just trial and error, etc.

We drive on the left here so I suppose I need to adjust them accordingly.

Use your daily driver as a start. Park it 20 ft from closed garage door. Use tape to mark front wheel location. Turn on headlights and use tape to mark horizontal and vertical centers of low beams (and high beams).

Put mustang in same position and adjust to match. This will get a good baseline. Make minor adjustments from there.

I take it out on a deserted road and adjust them until I can see, but not blind oncoming cars.

When every I've tried the garage door method, they end up too low or too high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use your daily driver as a start. Park it 20 ft from closed garage door. Use tape to mark front wheel location. Turn on headlights and use tape to mark horizontal and vertical centers of low beams (and high beams).

Put mustang in same position and adjust to match. This will get a good baseline. Make minor adjustments from there.
+1

Just make sure that you do this on a level surface. Any slope is going to mess it up. I adjusted the headlights in my old truck this way.

This is an interesting article from Popular Mechanics that goes over adjusting headlights as well:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/1347221

Also, measure the horizontal cut-off line's height on the garage door, as well as the height of the center of the lights on the car. Typically the low beam cutoff will be 1-2" below the light centers.( @ 20ft). Use the same criteria for your Mustang to keep the beam on the same " angle of attack".

Also, measure the horizontal cut-off line's height on the garage door, as well as the height of the center of the lights on the car. Typically the low beam cutoff will be 1-2" below the light centers.( @ 20ft). Use the same criteria for your Mustang to keep the beam on the same " angle of attack".
Usually they aren't symmetrical and the 1-2" below the center depends on the size of the headlights. Some centers are easier to see than others. I think it's best not to compare lights across different models but focus on the one at hand for the most satisfying results. Also note that the suspension makes a difference. Worn suspension components can cause the lights to bounce as you maneuver down the road.

The way headlights are aimed is primarily using high beams. Once the high beams are pretty much level, the low beams fall where they are supposed to be.

Or, buy an old "Hoppy" professional headlight aiming kit off of E-Bay. Probably get one for around $20 or so, you will have the confidence knowing your lights are aimed and adjusted perfectly ( horizontally as well as vertically!) and you will have a cool tool to add to your collection.

Back