Low Prices Locally?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Just a weird quick post. Through Craigslist or Facebook always looking for maybe the next project Mustang that is “cheap” to start with. In the past 2 months there have been a to me larger amount of 71-73 Mach 1’s listed for sale. They are real Mach 1’s from the vin, most have the marty report. A few Q codes but mainly Windsor’s and cleveland motors. Their prices range from $5,000-$13,000. Some of the $13k are fresh restorations with rebuilt motors and new paint. The lower have original paint decent Interiors and are running, but who knows knows how well. My 73 I have about $20,000 into it with rebuilt motor trans paint and interior. People who randomly have offered more than what i have into it. I know it depends on sellers color the whole 9 yards when making a sale in general, but the prices seem low to me for the car one would get. Is it worth buying some of these lower cost mach 1’s? Normally I see prices in the $24+ range. Either it’s just a  random happening or am I missing something lol just a random post

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably just due to the widely varying definitions of 'restored'. A lot of people think that fresh cheap paint, an overhauled (not rebuilt) motor, a dash cover over the cracked dash, and a brake job equate to restored. On the other hand, others feel that anything short of a concourse, 'as factory delivered' restoration on a highly desirable model is not worth their attention (or anyone else's).

It's probably just due to the widely varying definitions of 'restored'. A lot of people think that fresh cheap paint, an overhauled (not rebuilt) motor, a dash cover over the cracked dash, and a brake job equate to restored. On the other hand, others feel that anything short of a concourse, 'as factory delivered' restoration on a highly desirable model is not worth their attention (or anyone else's).
The idea of “fresh restoration” as you stated to me is the difference. I thought maybe it was worth it to buy a “cheaper” one make sure everything is up to par and have one to drive that don’t worry about rock chips haha

That's a real possibility, but it can take a sharp eye to see what may need further attention. The cars I fear the most are the ones that people have replaced floorpans and fender aprons in their garage. I see so many cars for sale that 'already have the rust cut out' and no reinforcement to maintain squareness in the meantime. How many have changed hands like that before the actual repair work got done?

That's a real possibility, but it can take a sharp eye to see what may need further attention. The cars I fear the most are the ones that people have replaced floorpans and fender aprons in their garage. I see so many cars for sale that 'already have the rust cut out' and no reinforcement to maintain squareness in the meantime. How many have changed hands like that before the actual repair work got done?
That’s my fear. Slap bondo over rust, spray it quick and it’s a true nightmare underneath. When you’ve done it all right and know it’s been done right there is that security. But that’s a good point of put lipstick on a pig.

The funny part is that some people don't even know it's a pig! They think that is how you do it. I know someone that used aluminum sheet to replace large chunks of their floorpans (not Mustang). When I brought up that you can't weld aluminum to steel, they said that they were going to use rivets and sealer and since it was metal it was just as good AND wouldn't rust out...it wasn't like they were using Bondo. And no thought at all about structural integrity.

Back