M Code, H Code visual difference

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Want to purchase a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 in either red or black exterior with trunk spoiler and a 351-cubic-inch v6 285 horsepower, four barrel Carburetor.
If I were looking at a 71 mustang that did not have matching numbers and the seller states that it's a M code, is there a way that I could visually confirm that fact? How could I tell the difference between 351 engines such as an H code vs M code?

Or for that matter, how could I tell the difference between a 351 and a 302?

Last edited by a moderator:
The simplest way is to look at the 5th character in the VIN. If it's an "M" then you have an M-code.

The engine block is the same for M and H codes. The cam, heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, carb, air cleaner, and other things were different.

The simplest way is to look at the 5th character in the VIN. If it's an "M" then you have an M-code.

The engine block is the same for M and H codes. The cam, heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, carb, air cleaner, and other things were different.
Don, thanks for the quick reply. I've recently learned about decoding Vin numbers, but what I want to understand now is - How can I varify that the engine in the vehicle is what the Vin number says it should be or what the seller is claiming it is?

It sounds like I need to become familiar with cams, heads and manifolds. Is that correct?

There is no easy way to tell for certain. However all M, Q and R code heads have a raised "4" or "4*" that is easily seen at the top left corner of the head where the valve cover bolts down. If it has a 4 then it is a 4v head which means it has a 4 barrel intake and carb which would have come on an M-code.

Did he provide a photo of the car from the rear? If single exhaust, H-code. If dual, M-code or one of the few '71 Q-codes.

Can he simply provide you the VIN? Fifth digit will be the engine code.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned...

The 4 barrel heads have a number 4 on the top corners of each head. See the pic below. If the heads are there then likely that your exhaust manifolds, intake manifold and carb are all 4 barrel which is what an M code car is.

9tn0ax.jpg

Back