Mach 1 Project from South Texas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G.O. Stang

Reaction score
My Car
2008 Mustang Grabber Orange V6, daily driver.

1971 Mach 1, project.
Hello all. My name is Chris and I've been a Mustang nut my whole life. It's always been my favorite classic car since I was old enough to care about them. A few yours ago I was given the opportunity to purchase a 68 mustang for restoration and jumped on it. Little did I know the amount of metal work it needed was way out of my capability. At the time, anyway. I eventually sold it and purchased a barn find 1974 F100 with 70,000 original miles on it. I got it running, tuned it up, did the brakes and made every little thing work again. I was able to sell it and moved onto what I currently have. It is a 1971 H-Code Automatic Mach 1. It needs some metal work, but my current abilities should be able to handle it this time. Two rear quarters, a trunk floor, taillight panel, a passenger floor pan, and some cowl repair. Everything else is in great shape. I'm still awaiting my marti report, but I believe this is a pretty highly optioned car as well. The original 351 is long gone however. I am however currently building a monster to take it's place. Now for a little about me. I currently attend the School of Automotive Machinists in Houston. I'm currently in the last stretch of Block class and will be starting Head class soon. While I'm there I have access to the machines for free. So I'm taking the opportunity to build a 521 BBF stroker. I'm pretty sure it will find it's way into being the heart of my Mach 1.

So without further a due, here she is.

4j12jq.jpg

14njw9l.jpg

2rxfli1.jpg

Welcome from Belgium,

If you have the knowledge / skill and equipment, then this is definitely a good project.

Keep going with photo's.

Eddy

::welcome::

G'day and ::welcome:: aboard, always good to see people bringing them back from the dead, instead of sending the poor soles to the scrap yard, well done Sir and keep the updates coming.

Welcome from Phoenix. Thanks for saving that Mach 1. I think a lot of people would be lost on the potential it has. It's really cool that you can do the body work yourself (something I never mastered) and have access for building a killer motor. I look forward to seeing your progress.

G'day and ::welcome:: aboard, always good to see people bringing them back from the dead, instead of sending the poor soles to the scrap yard, well done Sir and keep the updates coming.
I don't see how anyone could send something like this to the scrap yard. Sure, it's rough, but it's just metal. And all finished these command a decent price. And that price is climbing everyday since they are becoming more scarce. I guess it just takes a special kind of love for these old ponies to give them the kind of work and attention they deserve.

Welcome from Phoenix. Thanks for saving that Mach 1. I think a lot of people would be lost on the potential it has. It's really cool that you can do the body work yourself (something I never mastered) and have access for building a killer motor. I look forward to seeing your progress.
I'm not necessarily good at body work. But what I can do is weld. At the very least I can replace what panels need replacing, fix some pin holes etc, and send it to be massaged and preped for paint. I'm also very knowledgeable in terms of mechanicals of these old cars.

Welcome from up north (Oklahoma) LOL

Looks like your car came with some nice options! Center console, rim blow steering wheel, etc.

Be sure and get a Marti report when you can. It will help you get good info on your car.

Ray

It needs some metal work, but my current abilities should be able to handle it this time. Two rear quarters, a trunk floor, taillight panel, a passenger floor pan, and some cowl repair.
Welcome

So is that all. :D

Thank for bringing one back from beyond - or at least almost there.

I will enjoy keeping up with the transformation.

It needs some metal work, but my current abilities should be able to handle it this time. Two rear quarters, a trunk floor, taillight panel, a passenger floor pan, and some cowl repair.
Welcome

So is that all. :D

Thank for bringing one back from beyond - or at least almost there.

I will enjoy keeping up with the transformation.
Obviously that's not all. I'll go through everything when I can tear it down completely and see what's there. I wish the metal work was all!

Welcome from up north (Oklahoma) LOL

Looks like your car came with some nice options! Center console, rim blow steering wheel, etc.

Be sure and get a Marti report when you can. It will help you get good info on your car.

Ray
I have one on order already. Should be getting it by email anytime now. I was curious to see how many came with the 3-point seat belts. I'd never seen them before this one.

Hi Chris and ::welcome:: to the forum from Luxembourg, Europe. Hang on to those rear window slats. I just love them for that typical cool seventies vibe.

Welcome from Virginia! Quite the project you have.

A rusty car in Texas??? Who'd a thought.
I know right? It actually rains alot here in south Texas though. I wish it didn't. Haha

Looking forward to following your progress..

Welcome to the site from SE Michigan.

Hi Chris, welcome from Houston, Texas!

I'm here also over in the Heights. What part of town are you in? I have a '73 convertible I'm currently restoring.

Curtis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back