Mach 1 strip kits.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Green on green 72 Mach 1
Who and where are you all buying your strip kits from. The kit from Decal
magic which be the same people as mustang market but not sure. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Anyway their lower strip kit is too short to do the whole lower part of the car.
Only reaches from the front fender to about half in front of the rear wheel opening.
I would assume the whole lower section gets the same treatment. Again I’m not sure 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_1885.jpeg

I ordered mine from Graphics Express and received them last week. I matched them up dry to the body like you did in your picture. They all look right, but honestly, I won't be installing them for a few weeks at least. I just installed all of the body panels after painting the body color and will need to wet sand and buff the white upper body and paint the lower body black before I think about installing the stripes. I will do my best to remember to reply to this thread in 5 weeks or so after I apply the decals, to let you know how it went and if I would buy from them again.

Attachments

• Mach 1 901a.jpg
    Mach 1 901a.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 908.jpg
    Mach 1 908.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 0
Can’t wait to see yours done.
Really like the Wimbledon white.
Thanks, I love the Wimbledon white with the black accents. I had a white and black 73 in high school and college. The car was Grabber Blue with argent accents when I bought it, desperately needing restoration. The car was actually the twin of your car when it was new. First thing I did was I had all of the sheet metal stripped to bare metal and I sealed it up with epoxy primer inside and out. There is no remainder of the Grabber blue or the Green under that paint now. Of course I purchased a new data decal for the door jamb that clearly states the car should be green because I don't want it to ever be misrepresented. That door decal and the Marti report will always be there to tell anyone down the road that it was a color change. Otherwise, my goal was that no looky-lou at a car show could ever tell it wasn't white from the get-go.

Attachments

• Mach 1 100.jpg
    Mach 1 100.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 102.jpg
    Mach 1 102.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 96.jpg
    Mach 1 96.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 97.jpg
    Mach 1 97.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 727.jpg
    Mach 1 727.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 0
How many of those sections did they supply? Ballparking you would need at least three to do the whole car. The edges get wrapped around the panels, so it may be a limitation of their production equipment.

How many of those sections did they supply? Ballparking you would need at least three to do the whole car. The edges get wrapped around the panels, so it may be a limitation of their production equipment.
That’s the problem, that’s not even taking in account the extra needed for the edges.
There was only two of these in the box.

Thanks, I love the Wimbledon white with the black accents. I had a white and black 73 in high school and college. The car was Grabber Blue with argent accents when I bought it, desperately needing restoration. The car was actually the twin of your car when it was new. First thing I did was I had all of the sheet metal stripped to bare metal and I sealed it up with epoxy primer inside and out. There is no remainder of the Grabber blue or the Green under that paint now. Of course I purchased a new data decal for the door jamb that clearly states the car should be green because I don't want it to ever be misrepresented. That door decal and the Marti report will always be there to tell anyone down the road that it was a color change. Otherwise, my goal was that no looky-lou at a car show could ever tell it wasn't white from the get-go.
I have to say I’m leaning towards grabber blue myself or IMG_5949.jpegthe shade of green on this door I had painted to see the color but with black stripes. IMG_1727.png

Graphics Express. My set (black) had a bad piece and they replaced it with the correct part only in Argent. Someone screwed up for sure and when I bought this to their attention, they replaced the entire set without question. That is customer service +.
NOTE: on my car, it has the bright trim along the bottom, so it would not originally have the stripe kit, but imo, they need the stripes and besides, too much work to remove the strips and fill in a million holes!
Also, I set the top of the stripes with a lazer as it's too easy to get it skewed at the rear wheel arches. TAKE YOUR TIME!!

Attachments

• 20211028_164807 (2).jpg
    20211028_164807 (2).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I have to say I’m leaning towards grabber blue myself or View attachment 89259the shade of green on this door I had painted to see the color but with black stripes. View attachment 89254
The green that your car is and mine should be is an awesome color of green. It has a lot of metallic and a great presence, I am just not a green guy, I appreciate a really nice shade of green, especially well done on a nice car, I just don't want to own one for some reason. I almost ordered my Rubicon in a really nice green metallic and just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I think that picture you posted of the door really shows how great that color can look, but Grabber Blue is a really pretty color and really fits our cars body lines, IMO. I decided on the Wimbledon White for my car based mostly on nostalgia sake, but also because it is less commonly seen. It seems to me, that very often when someone color changes a Mustang it is to Grabber Blue.

The green that your car is and mine should be is an awesome color of green. It has a lot of metallic and a great presence, I am just not a green guy, I appreciate a really nice shade of green, especially well done on a nice car, I just don't want to own one for some reason. I almost ordered my Rubicon in a really nice green metallic and just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I think that picture you posted of the door really shows how great that color can look, but Grabber Blue is a really pretty color and really fits our cars body lines, IMO. I decided on the Wimbledon White for my car based mostly on nostalgia sake, but also because it is less commonly seen. It seems to me, that very often when someone color changes a Mustang it is to Grabber Blue.
I think you should get a Grabber Blue Stang to compliment your current Wimbledon White one. Just think how nice they would look together in your garage! ;)

I think you should get a Grabber Blue Stang to compliment your current Wimbledon White one. Just think how nice they would look together in your garage! ;)
LOL, you are absolutely correct. Now I just need to get my wife to see the value of your sound reasoning, haha. I would love to get a vert down the road, I think that would be a nice bookend set the Mach and a nice Convertible. That would be the car to be Grabber Blue in my opinion, with a white top and interior, it would be an awesome combo. The argent stripes would go nicely, like Revsitup's Mach. I think I would have to get rid of one of the other toys first, though. For budget and storage issues, but also peace at home. My plan was always to only have four at a time, because I have four sons and it works out nicely that each could inherit one and keep or sell off theirs whichever is right for them. I'll be six feet under if and when that happens, so it doesn't matter what they do with them either way, haha.

Graphics Express. My set (black) had a bad piece and they replaced it with the correct part only in Argent. Someone screwed up for sure and when I bought this to their attention, they replaced the entire set without question. That is customer service +.
NOTE: on my car, it has the bright trim along the bottom, so it would not originally have the stripe kit, but imo, they need the stripes and besides, too much work to remove the strips and fill in a million holes!
Also, I set the top of the stripes with a lazer as it's too easy to get it skewed at the rear wheel arches. TAKE YOUR TIME!!
The laser was a great idea. I think I am going to steal that when it becomes time to install my decal set.(y)

The laser was a great idea. I think I am going to steal that when it becomes time to install my decal set.(y)
That's just my "perfectionist way" I'm afraid.
If and when you (or anybody else) does this, it is important to have the car set level. Use a spirit level on the door sill and adjust with jacks. Also a good idea to set it level across the width of the car as well.

I've mentioned this before, but back in 2014 when my car was painted, the first set of stripes I bought were from NPD. No idea what company made them, but they were crap. Too shiny and missing glue in spots. That is when I found Graphics Express. Their stripe kits are made on original 3M material and although not 100%, they are the best option I know of. Set up measurements can be found on the 429 Mega site. However, the stripe they are using seems a little wider than the G/E stripe. I used that as a guide only and set the arch curves to just touch the start of the flair if that makes sense.
I think there is a lengthy post on this. I'll see if I can find it and re-post it.
Here you go,
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/72-mach-1-side-stripe-removal-and-replacement.43835/post-440842

Last edited:
Back