Mach 1 vs Fastback Sportsroof - differences

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run away from that '72. I've been following it for two years:

The build started in someone's backyard on a yellow '72 Sportsroof (hence the yellow Windsor), which was rotted out. The owners didn't have welding equipment (and used cinderblocks on the rockers as jack stands) so they fiberglassed area under the rear seat, cowl intake, and some other spots too. A rotted purple '73 was used for parts, which is where the funky trunk came, from amongst numerous other parts. Price was $4k, IIRC.

He sat around on it for a while, had it cheaply primered (over the markers and all), and kicked the price up to $7k. No takers.

It finally sold to a fellow in Kendall, who sat on it for a while and put it right back up. Last price was $5k. He then had it shot in the blue that you see here, and - so he claims - the fiberglass repairs were removed. This most recent ad finally included trunk photos which betray that no bodywork was done; this thing still remains held together with fiberglass.

Only thing to say for it is the nice paint job - wasted.

-Kurt
Tell him you know where a NICE 71 Mach I is available in Texas. Litterly NO RUST, and one very SCHEEEWEET 351 .......:D

Tell him you know where a NICE 71 Mach I is available in Texas. Litterly NO RUST, and one very SCHEEEWEET 351 .......:D
I'll tell the OP, but I'll be darned if I'll let the owner of that blue car know :p

-Kurt

Run away from that '72. I've been following it for two years:

The build started in someone's backyard on a yellow '72 Sportsroof (hence the yellow Windsor), which was rotted out. The owners didn't have welding equipment (and used cinderblocks on the rockers as jack stands) so they fiberglassed area under the rear seat, cowl intake, and some other spots too. A rotted purple '73 was used for parts, which is where the funky trunk came, from amongst numerous other parts. Price was $4k, IIRC.

He sat around on it for a while, had it cheaply primered (over the markers and all), and kicked the price up to $7k. No takers.

It finally sold to a fellow in Kendall, who sat on it for a while and put it right back up. Last price was $5k. He then had it shot in the blue that you see here, and - so he claims - the fiberglass repairs were removed. This most recent ad finally included trunk photos which betray that no bodywork was done; this thing still remains held together with fiberglass.

Only thing to say for it is the nice paint job - wasted.

-Kurt
Carter who the hell would be interested in a 71 Mach on this site?? Um Oh wait you might be onto something :p Glad your sticking around matey :)

Thank you Luke!!! Just an update... I have a sneaky suspension the 71 white and black 351 ram air clone car that I found last fall is lower on price these days. So now I have two very good options available. The red one and the white/black one.

Thank you Luke!!! Just an update... I have a sneaky suspension the 71 white and black 351 ram air clone car that I found last fall is lower on price these days. So now I have two very good options available. The red one and the white/black one.
Buy em both lol

I'm in the market for my first 71-73 Mustang and had my mind settled upon a Mach 1. Today on Craigslist, however, I found a car in Miami that, except for the sportlamp turn signals in the grill and the chrome front bumper, looks exactly like a Mach 1. So I'm trying to understand the differences between the Mach 1 and the Sportsroof. The ad calls it a fastback, but I am assuming that both the Mach 1 and the sportsroof are both called fastbacks.

(I added a picture to contrast the only differences that I can see.)

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4436171329.html

Mach%201%20vs%20Fastback.jpg

I also just noticed that the blue car has no antenna.

Repop panel not drilled for it, likely.

Not that a radio-delete car wouldn't have ever come like this, but I doubt it on this blue bucket.

-Kurt

dang.....what happened to Kum bahhhh YA?????

I call out what I interpret as a not so up and up story and get a little "negative feedback" :D:D:D:D:D:D

This ad ....you guys are like dang dingos!!!!

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah.

O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's crying, Lord, Kum ba yah!

O Lord, Kum ba yah

dang.....what happened to Kum bahhhh YA?????
To the seller of this blue car:

I offer my sincere apologies for dissing your car, and a prayer:

Kum bahhh yah...

...yah jerk!
This thing has so much fiberglass on it that General Motors made it an honorary Corvette. If that isn't a justified insult, I don't know what is.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing has so much fiberglass on it that General Motors made it an honorary Corvette. If that isn't a justified insult, I don't know what is.

-Kurt
You got something against fiberglass?:p

Wait, you mean the Corvette thing:)

Repop panel not drilled for it, likely.

Not that a radio-delete car wouldn't have ever come like this, but I doubt it on this blue bucket.

-Kurt
I actually had mine filled in - I'm going with a hidden antenna.

"Someone's crying, Lord," indeed. :p rofl

Basically trim difference, badging etc. Other guys with more knowledge in this area can give you specifics. One thing that I did notice with this car though is that the motor if it's a 351 is not the Cleveland but appears to be a Windsor. Also air shocks on the rear which is not ideal for the suspension. Overall though the car looks good. I guess it all boils down to what you what to do with it, keep it original, resto mod etc.
The car's hood pins are not positioned properly and if it is a sportsroof has the wrong hood.

The car's hood pins are not positioned properly and if it is a sportsroof has the wrong hood.
You are correct about those aftermarket hood pins being located someplace other than in the 'factory' positions. However, there is not a right or wrong hood for any of the models.

From the factory:

The standard hood has no NACA ducts or any other kind of adornment (to include hood locks).

The "NASA" hood comes in [basically] two configurations:

• Ram Air - functional ducts channeled into a sealed air cleaner WITH integrated hood lock mechanisms - also decorated with matte/flat finish
  • Non Ram Air - Honeycomb trim block-off plates in the ducts and no plenum WITHOUT integrated hood lock mechanisms and no matte/flat finish

You could order NASA hoods with or without Ram Air for any of the V8 models, to include sportsroofs, coupes and convertibles. For some models, it was included as part of a 'decor' package (i.e. Mach 1, Boss 351) with or without Ram Air.

A dingo ate my baabbeee!!!

you crazy rascals good thing there is no such law against Mustang abuse. ya'll are called for a jury.... and bam some poor fool is in jail.

Any way... the cat ask for the difference between a Sportsroof and a Fastback. Personally if he can find a nice sports roof, it can be a cool whatever he wants. Mod that baaabbeee up any way you like. Like some of you, I like to see Mach I's kept in as close to original condition as possible. I think a sportsroof can make a nice hotrod.

A dingo ate my baabbeee!!!

you crazy rascals good thing there is no such law against Mustang abuse. ya'll are called for a jury.... and bam some poor fool is in jail.

Any way... the cat ask for the difference between a Sportsroof and a Fastback. Personally if he can find a nice sports roof, it can be a cool whatever he wants. Mod that baaabbeee up any way you like. Like some of you, I like to see Mach I's kept in as close to original condition as possible. I think a sportsroof can make a nice hotrod.

I like to see Mach I's kept in as close to original condition as possible. I think a sportsroof can make a nice hotrod.
hmmm, what about those of us with the "H" code Mach's? A 351 2V / FMX / 2.75 gears doesn't represent well when it counts, unless you have a 10 mile stretch to get it huff n puffin. I think I'll "hot rod" mine a bit.

As did I with mine. 3.00:1 rear cogs in mine. I figure between the 400hp CompCams says to expect [with all the choices I made in building my 351C-2V], the AOD's same gear ratios as the FMX, and the 3.00s, I should be able to expect 22-ish +/- mpgs (highway), while still being able to throw down a burn-out now and then.

Works for me. ;) :D

Almost: ram-air could not be ordered on a 302 equipped car, even though the non-functional NASA hood could be.

And the tutone hood w/ hoodpins without functional ram-air was a 73-only option.

Almost: ram-air could not be ordered on a 302 equipped car, even though the non-functional NASA hood could be.

And the tutone hood w/ hoodpins without functional ram-air was a 73-only option.
Hardly even worth mentioning, given that those are hood pins on a car that never came with anything but twist-locks from factory.

-Kurt

Back