Mach 1 vs Fastback Sportsroof - differences

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is worth mentioning to clarify the statement that ram-air was available on any V-8 equipped car...which it was not.

Well - it kinda goes along the lines of having a cut-out rear valance on an H-code Mach 1: those who have more information than I insist it just was not so... yet mine came with the cut-out rear valance (it fit perfectly and had the right amount of age and weathering).

Could've been dealer installed, because there's no way the P.O.s would've gotten a genuine Ford part and had a proper shop install it when they switched out the stock mufflers for glass packs - not after the gas tank hanger I found in the trunk.

Well - it kinda goes along the lines of having a cut-out rear valance on an H-code Mach 1: those who have more information than I insist it just was not so... yet mine came with the cut-out rear valance (it fit perfectly and had the right amount of age and weathering).

Could've been dealer installed, because there's no way the P.O.s would've gotten a genuine Ford part and had a proper shop install it when they switched out the stock mufflers for glass packs - not after the gas tank hanger I found in the trunk.
Could have been that it was changed to dual exhaust along with the valance by a dealer - long before Red Green got to it.

Did the valance have a Ford part number sticker on it or something? Stickers usually mean OEM replacement parts.

-Kurt

It was not uncommon for brand-new 2-v cars to have duals installed, either by the dealer to create a more sale-able vehicle, or by the new owner soon after taking delivery.

The cut-out valance and the chrome tips could be had as parts over the counter for less than $75 back then.

I like to see Mach I's kept in as close to original condition as possible. I think a sportsroof can make a nice hotrod.
hmmm, what about those of us with the "H" code Mach's? A 351 2V / FMX / 2.75 gears doesn't represent well when it counts, unless you have a 10 mile stretch to get it huff n puffin. I think I'll "hot rod" mine a bit.
ahhhh true that! based on those rules....hot rodding did come into play on mine but I kept the base equipment 351 2v and FMX...but the've been TUNED UP. and of course the 3:89 gears. I should have stated changing out the original motors and tranny and gutting the interior etc for roll cages and ruining the cars.

ooops !!!:D

Could have been that it was changed to dual exhaust along with the valance by a dealer - long before Red Green got to it.

Did the valance have a Ford part number sticker on it or something? Stickers usually mean OEM replacement parts.

-Kurt
If it did have any stickers, they're long since gone. My point is that based on things I found "upgraded" and/or "repaired" on the car as I went along, there was no way the P.O. would've ponied up for a proper cut-out valance - they would've simply cut the openings themselves... most likely with the same torch they used for this:

394329_335871973090394_1446989224_n.jpg

so reading threw this am I to understand the 02 in the vin denotes that its a boss 351 vs a mach? im still trying to figure this out for my car.

so reading threw this am I to understand the 02 in the vin denotes that its a boss 351 vs a mach? im still trying to figure this out for my car.
05 = Mach 1

02 = Sportsroof

If "02" is followed by "R", Boss 351.

-Kurt

05 = Mach 1

02 = Sportsroof

If "02" is followed by "R", Boss 351.

ok thanks! so the m code is a plain jane with a upgraded 351?

-Kurt

Not quite. An M code 351C 4V could follow any of the possible body combos, including 01 (Hardtop), 02 (Sportsroof), 03 (Convertible), 04 (Grande), or 05 (Mach 1 Sportsroof). The only thing you couldn't get an M-code in was any R-code Boss 351.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
im finding decoding the 71-73's very confusing tons of configurations! lol

cool thanks! still finding my way around the forum on the paint code for the grabber blue it showed 3 different codes are there 3 different versions of the color?

Question to the gang... was fold down only available in Mach 1 body style?
Not sure about that. I know Mach 1s could have either (mine has a fixed rear seat), but I couldn't say about the Sportsroofs. I don't believe it was offered on the coupes at all (or 'verts, for obvious reasons).

Someone will know for sure. ::thumb::
The question is "was fold down only available in Mach 1 body style?"

I know for sure and you are incorrect Sir. The fold down was an option on all sportsroofs and standard on ALL convertibles. :p

Not quite. An M code 351C 4V could follow any of the possible body combos, including 01 (Hardtop), 02 (Sportsroof), 03 (Convertible), 04 (Grande), or 05 (Mach 1 Sportsroof). The only thing you couldn't get an M-code in was any R-code Boss 351.

-Kurt
In 72 an R-code could also be had in any body style except an 05 (Mach 1).

Oh yeah, I forgot about my friend Tim's car...how could I forget that one? I tend to keep track of the rarer and unusual versions of these cars that show up on here.
What I find interesting is that Eric Petosa was supposedly keeping a registry of these according to this article - and I can't find it: http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0901-1972-ford-mustang-mach-1/driveshaft.html

There's also that yellow R-code coupe with "351 H.O." decals on the side and Boss taillight panel paint - which is said to be original on R-code coupes:

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/9272080+w650+h650+cr1/0706_mump_01_z%2B1972_mustang_ho%2Bside_view.jpg

Never found anything to substantiate that, but I never did do a big '72 R-code search either.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
learning lots about these cars today! thanks for dropping some knowledge.

Back