Manual Transmission Guys

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shot over an email this morning and this is the response back from Gray. So still sounds promising.

Your pedal set is safe and sound. Because the rod on the OE setup is a pull style we are having to fabricate a special part to hook up the master cylinder to the spring mount. We should be ready to go with a workable system next week. I will probably have our guy bring over the parts for test fitting in case there is something we overlooked.

There will be a special bolt-in plate that covers the hole in the firewall plate you supplied, which will give us an excellent flat area for mounting the firewall bracket.

All in all I think this will be a great success.

Gray G. Fredrick

American Powertrain,

A TREMEC Elite Distributor

Howdy Gents,

Just wanted to post a quick follow up. The pedal boxes in these cars, as you probably well know, are nothing like the 67-70 boxes and has a lot of parts to work around. The original rod gets pulled, which is bass ackwards for pushing a master rod, and popping a hole in the top of the clutch arm is a no go because the swing of the pedal runs uphill which would only bend the master rod. The strategy for the new system is to hook up to the rear spring mount so the rod will be pushed instead of pulled. The spring is eliminated on a hydraulic set-up anyway, so that leaves us a strong mounting point. The problem is that there is no turn-key shoulder bolt that will fit, so we are hand turning a custom pin that we will produce in quantity after it is proven out.

The other issue is the huge hole next to the steering column. We are laser cutting a custom fit plate that will bolt to the existing firewall plate so we can bolt up the master. This plate will be mounted on the inside of the firewall so it will have plenty of strength when you are stuffing your foot into it.

The geometry should be excellent and give a big pedal ratio, which will make actuation easier on your leg. I am over-the-top busy (business is good, so no complaints), but our fabrication department is turning the custom parts out now and we should have something ready to test fit next week.

I will try to keep you updated, but a little nudge is never a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The toploader is no problem at all once we get the master cylinder worked out. And we sell more 5-speed kits for Mustang than any other company that I am aware of. Had to throw a shameless plug in, workin' hard here.

The toploader is no problem at all once we get the master cylinder worked out. And we sell more 5-speed kits for Mustang than any other company that I am aware of. Had to throw a shameless plug in, workin' hard here.
LOL plug away I need a clutch kit:D

Howdy Gents,

Just wanted to post a quick follow up. The pedal boxes in these cars, as you probably well know, are nothing like the 67-70 boxes and has a lot of parts to work around. The original rod gets pulled, which is bass ackwards for pushing a master rod, and popping a hole in the top of the clutch arm is a no go because the swing of the pedal runs uphill which would only bend the master rod. The strategy for the new system is to hook up to the rear spring mount so the rod will be pushed instead of pulled. The spring is eliminated on a hydraulic set-up anyway, so that leaves us a strong mounting point. The problem is that there is no turn-key shoulder bolt that will fit, so we are hand turning a custom pin that we will produce in quantity after it is proven out.

The other issue is the huge hole next to the steering column. We are laser cutting a custom fit plate that will bolt to the existing firewall plate so we can bolt up the master. This plate will be mounted on the inside of the firewall so it will have plenty of strength when you are stuffing your foot into it.

The geometry should be excellent and give a big pedal ratio, which will make actuation easier on your leg. I am over-the-top busy (business is good, so no complaints), but our fabrication department is turning the custom parts out now and we should have something ready to test fit next week.

I will try to keep you updated, but a little nudge is never a bad thing.
i'm getting really excited!!! i have something to look forward to now instead of my current push style cable set up.

just trying to reinstate a few year old thread cuz i'm sure people want to know the update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back