Map light?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the map light is only a bolt on on the 71 cars for 72 they changed the dash harness and it was no longer part of the standard package' date=' its a pain to install a map light on the newer cars if it never had one.[/quote']
Are you absolutely sure about that?

I decided to use the map light from my recent parts haul in my '71 based on this (and a similar comment in another forum that stated that the '71s supposedly all have the same wiring harness P/N), and spent an hour taking apart the dash looking for the plug - with no success.

I did find an unused Fasten Seat Belt light plug in the harness, but no map light plug anywhere.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on the build date, I think late 71' they changed the harness.
Exactly the opposite, in my case - mine was kicked out of the Metuchen plant on November 28, 1970.

Early car, NJ built - either of significance? (And by that, I'm not asking whether it's a pile of nuclear Soylent Green either).

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
the map light is only a bolt on on the 71 cars for 72 they changed the dash harness and it was no longer part of the standard package' date=' its a pain to install a map light on the newer cars if it never had one.[/quote']
Are you absolutely sure about that?

I decided to use the map light from my recent parts haul in my '71 based on this (and a similar comment in another forum that stated that the '71s supposedly all have the same wiring harness P/N), and spent an hour taking apart the dash looking for the plug - with no success.

I did find an unused Fasten Seat Belt light plug in the harness, but no map light plug anywhere.

-Kurt
Where was a plug for the fasten seat belt light hidden ?

They didn't have that " fasten seat belt " light until Jan 1 of 1972

The plug was right behind the area of the dash where the "Fasten Seat Belt" warning light would be.

Don't tell me - I've got a 1972 wiring harness in my '71. Whoopee.

-Kurt

The plug was right behind the area of the dash where the "Fasten Seat Belt" warning light would be.

Don't tell me - I've got a 1972 wiring harness in my '71. Whoopee.

-Kurt
Well...

If you have a plug on the left side of the dash - red and yellow round connector- that would have been for the optional " BELT " light

That would be 1971

If you have a plug above the glove box white / grey square plug - that would be for the 72-3 manditory seat belt warning system

Light said " fasten seat belts " and had a buzzer too. that would mean you have a 72 and up harness

If you have a plug on the left side of the dash - red and yellow round connector- that would have been for the optional " BELT " light

That would be 1971

If you have a plug above the glove box white / grey square plug - that would be for the 72-3 manditory seat belt warning system

Light said " fasten seat belts " and had a buzzer too. that would mean you have a 72 and up harness
Haven't found the belt light plug, but the one I have is the black, semi-rounded simple two-wire plug sitting right behind the usual spot where the Fasten Seat Belt lamp would be on a '72/3: Centered in the dash, in front of the passenger.

-Kurt

Just a quick follow up... I did receive my connector with 48" of wiring today, wrapped nicely and just as advertised. Cost me $2.44 including shipping just like they said...great deal. No need to drive about town looking for this. I need to see what else they carry that I might need! :)

oh...and thanks midlife!

John

My 73 convertible that I ordered new has a map light, it was included in the Convenience Group option.This group also included the headlight warning buzzer (buzzes when you open driver door with the light on), and automatic seatback latches,Trunk light, under the hood Light, and a Light inside the glove box. BUT NOT INSIDE THE CONSOLE!

The list price was $45.53, on my window sticker. I hope this information answers some questions about this nice option.

We will be in Charlotte with the original owner cars stop by and check out my car.

Back