Map light?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came with the map light and trunk light (don't know if there was ever a hood light though).

I haven't tested my map light yet, but I'm tossing around the idea of replacing it with some kind of fold-down bracket for a back-up camera screen (that whole 'looking backward out of a gun-turret' effect kinda bugs me a bit). The wife found a rear-view mirror that has a screen with GPS and all sorts of other functionality built-in, but I don't want just a basic mirror with a small section for all that - I want the whole thing to be the screen since it's pretty much useless as a rear-view mirror as it is.

The fold-down bracket is more of a "Plan C" solution, because it would block the duct for the A/C when in-use - which is also not desirable. If that's the way I wind up going, I might have a map light for sale at some point down the road.

Mine came with the map light and trunk light (don't know if there was ever a hood light though).

I haven't tested my map light yet, but I'm tossing around the idea of replacing it with some kind of fold-down bracket for a back-up camera screen (that whole 'looking backward out of a gun-turret' effect kinda bugs me a bit). The wife found a rear-view mirror that has a screen with GPS and all sorts of other functionality built-in, but I don't want just a basic mirror with a small section for all that - I want the whole thing to be the screen since it's pretty much useless as a rear-view mirror as it is.

The fold-down bracket is more of a "Plan C" solution, because it would block the duct for the A/C when in-use - which is also not desirable. If that's the way I wind up going, I might have a map light for sale at some point down the road.
I'm going to start a new thread about this but here ya go...

Pyle PLCM105 - Rear view mirror/video screen w 2 inputs

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came wjth the map light as well as the trunk and underhood lights. I didn't rralize they were a rare item. I have seen many on other cars over the years.

Last edited:
the underdash lights, you could also get from a bronco truck and the cougar.

the 71-72 cars should have to connector for them in the kick wells.

the map light is only a bolt on on the 71 cars for 72 they changed the dash harness and it was no longer part of the standard package, its a pain to install a map light on the newer cars if it never had one.

the trunk and hood lights lot of people installed aftermarket ones, i have a after market trunk light and had a hood light but i ditched it when i replaced the hood.

in recent years restoring the map light became possible with repop lenses and bodies.

i restored a map light for my car, only to discover the problem with 72s and the dash harness and i ended up trading it to a friend :(.

What does "convenience package" exactly include in '73 model?

I have a light somewhere in the passenger side area. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

I thought the "convenience package" in 72 also included the automatic unlocking seat latches?

I have the trunk, under hood and under dash lights as well as the seat back release and map light. The car has the convenience group. Just FYI.

Ok...great news! Don has hooked me up with a map light! And even told me how to install it... I just need the matching 3-pin connector. I'm pretty sure I can buy these at Napa or something but can't seem to find it online. Anybody send me a link? Oh...here's a picture from eddy's post of what the connection looks like...it's just the standard Ford connector.

IMG_4106.JPG

Thanks,

John

Ok...great news! Don has hooked me up with a map light! And even told me how to install it... I just need the matching 3-pin connector. I'm pretty sure I can buy these at Napa or something but can't seem to find it online. Anybody send me a link? Oh...here's a picture from eddy's post of what the connection looks like...it's just the standard Ford connector.

Thanks,

John
John,

Take a look at the wire harness you have. That connector you need may already be there. I had a 73 Mach 1 in college that I installed a map light in. I took off the blanking plate from my center dash and the connector was already there. I simply plugged it in and it worked great.

Try Del City Trailer Connectors for your molded connector.
Perfect...only a couple of dollars and free shipping...can't beat that!

As soon as I get it out of painting I will look as Steve suggested to make sure it's not already there. Now I have all the bases covered...great help from all my friends here!

Thanks!

John

Try Del City Trailer Connectors for your molded connector.
Perfect...only a couple of dollars and free shipping...can't beat that!

As soon as I get it out of painting I will look as Steve suggested to make sure it's not already there. Now I have all the bases covered...great help from all my friends here!

Thanks!

John
Ummm..I think it is orders over $99 that have free shipping.

I used a 4 pin trailer connector, there's a tbteas on here that I posted with pictures and the wiring details, I'll look when I get home an post it up.

sent deom my Samsung SIII via TapTalk

Back