Marti Report List :

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just confirming for anyone who cares, all 69-73 Mach 1's were SportsRoofs. I believe there was a Mach 1 option for Mustang II's but I don't know if it was hatchback-only or not.
74-78 Mach 1's were hatchback only. Could be had with a 6cyl also and no V8's in 74.

Just confirming for anyone who cares, all 69-73 Mach 1's were SportsRoofs. I believe there was a Mach 1 option for Mustang II's but I don't know if it was hatchback-only or not.
Back when I had my 73 Mach 1 in the early eighties, my brother bought a 74 Mustang II hatchback Mach 1. He would bust my chops saying we had the same car, with his V6 hatchback Mustang II. It always would get me going and I know that is probably why he bought the car in the first place, haha. It was a nice looking little car red with the black lower body and Mach 1 decals on the fender behind the front tires. it was black out around the tail lamps also, if I remember correctly. I bet they were fun with a V8 and a stick shift. I don't know if Ford made them after 74,though.

Last edited:
The '71-74 engines used the same style block (machined for 2 or 4 bolt mains), crank, cam, springs, etc., with the '73-74 engines receiving cylinder head, intake, and piston changes to accommodate the new EGR systems.
Well, not entirely accurate.........we have all read many, many times about Ford retarding the camshaft timing, so not the same cam timing . I don't have the specs here in front of me this moment , but I'm thinking all of the '73s received retarded timing. Of course, dropping the compression ratios by using the open chambered heads, cast, not forged, dished pistons, took some "oomph" out of performance too. Unleaded fuels required dropped compressions, relaxed timing, and mandated a change to hardened exhaust seats to cope with the new fuel. Multi-grooved valve locks and rotator cups/ retainers became common during those years and are decidedly NOT a performance item. I wouldn't characterize these changes as advertising simply blowing smoke . In just the period of two years, the highest performance 351 declined significantly from what a Boss was. Some other changes were on the options list, meaning not having the same options by '73, that you had in '71. Blame insurance companies, ( a now required by law, necessity, absolute evil, surcharging the public $$$$$ for buying performance )and Henry Kissinger ( who orchestrated the events that caused the U.S. to agree to pay more for foreign oil...during Nixon's administration) for causing such drastic changes to the American driving experience, not the factories.

Last edited:
You're wrong. There was the Frank Cone edition of the Mach 1 convertible...*G*
I'd need to see a Marti report on that. No sales brochures, parts books, or documents I've seen or know of mention a convertible Mach 1. Oh, there's plenty of owner modified convertibles with Mach 1 decals out there. The MCA judging manuals all say no.

Sorry, but it even says in the text that Ford wouldn't put Mach 1 on it. I don't see a Marti report attached either. It's nice, but not technically a Mach 1, it's a dealer special order car. If it was, mine would be a Mach 1, but it's not. Mines a fully optioned 351CJ ram air, C6, limited slip, competition suspension, 15" Magnum 500,s A/C, power windows, side stripes, blacked out hood, twist locks, intermittent wipers, deluxe interior, AM/FM stereo convertible. See my photos.

Attachments

• 20170424_162130.jpg
    20170424_162130.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170424_153315.jpg
    20170424_153315.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I can tell you that when I bought my 73 vert new the insurance went up with the Q code. Most of my readings about the engine listed it as a CJ. I am lucky that mine is original and I need to do only a few things to her. You can see by the original window sticker and the marty report, she is a little different than most. Those who have a 71-73 is in my mind are one of the lucky one's.

Attachments

• 4905867_0001.jpg
    4905867_0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 4905867_0001.pdf
    557.9 KB · Views: 1
Sorry, but it even says in the text that Ford wouldn't put Mach 1 on it. I don't see a Marti report attached either. It's nice, but not technically a Mach 1, it's a dealer special order car. If it was, mine would be a Mach 1, but it's not. Mines a fully optioned 351CJ ram air, C6, limited slip, competition suspension, 15" Magnum 500,s A/C, power windows, side stripes, blacked out hood, twist locks, intermittent wipers, deluxe interior, AM/FM stereo convertible. See my photos.
Being that a Mach 1 Could be had with a 302 and standard interior, a convertible like ours doesn't need a Mach 1 name. Ours are better. Our cars were also the closest you could get to a Shelby Convertible after 71 with the exception of an R code. In my opinion all you need are exterior interior decor croup, comp suspension, gage package, maybe 4bbl. or ram air which can upgrade the hood, upgraded wheel covers to be equal to a Mach 1. Add more options and you are getting closer to what a Shelby might have been. The Frank Cone car should have had exterior decor group if was available at the very least and really was a car with some dealer options and a story. Nothing more. The essence is more important than a name.

Back