Mechanical Fuel Pumps. Whatcha Got?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you not running a fuel filter, or is it somewhere in line before the pump?
Good call. I do have a filter before the pump between the apron and pump. This has been criticized before, but I have never had a flow problem. I use the large steel 3/8" inline. Actually there was one at this location when I bought the car 12 years ago, so naturally not knowing any different, thought that was where it was supposed to be. I also have sintered bronze filters in the carb inlets. Personally, I do not like to see plastic or worse, glass filters, up on top of the motor. I did look at placing the filter just above the pump outlet, but not enough room under the PS pump that you don't see in the pics. I supposed that it might be possible if place horizontally off the pump, then up. That's about the only option I can think of. A note on that, routing the line under the pump was a bit of a challenge and the main reason it took a couple of tries to get it right. There needs to be at least 1" clearance from the block, unless insulated.

Thanks Geoff! I knew you had some pics of how you did yours and I am planning on about the same. Also appreciate the info on the length of how much line to get. Saves me from figuring out a few things. Thanks again 👍
Yes, 36" or longer depending on what you can get. Also, by buying fuel line tube, it already has the correct double flare fittings, but depending on how you connect to your carb, they can be cut off. Again I stress, any permanent clamps MUST be fuel line clamps, none of those damn gear clamps.

If you use a similar steel fuel bowl connection (Holley) as mine, the bend directly connecting to that will need to be bent past what the tool will allow, so be careful here.

Here's the tool I bought.

bending tool.JPG

I'm sure you've seen my pics of the fuel line I made up for my car. It did take me a couple of tries to get what I wanted and to keep the line at least 1" off the block. I also used as short piece of injector rubber hose to connect to the pump, a, as an easy connection and b, as a vibration buffer. Anyway, these aren't the best pics, but might lead you in the right direction. I used 3/8" copper lined steel fuel line 36" long with 3/8NPT fittings on both ends. I just cut one off.

img 0985 is the "around the back" PCV tube I made to make it look more correct.
I do remember those. Trust me, I'm totally jealous. I have to run two lines, pump to FPR, and then FPR to Carb. My fuel filter actually. It's hard plumbed to the carb already.  

I do remember those. Trust me, I'm totally jealous. I have to run two lines, pump to FPR, and then FPR to Carb. My fuel filter actually. It's hard plumbed to the carb already.  
Yes, how it connects to YOUR carb and where your filter is located is likely different and something for you to figure out. On the pump itself, I was not able to find a suitable fitting to connect to the 3/8" tube and a reason I had to micky-mouse it using the rubber hose. The pumps were made originally for a 5/16" line/fitting.

My 73 mach 1 still has the factory installed Carter pump on it. The 73 vert i got that sat for 27 years had a holley that could be taken apart and rebuilt. it filled the oil pan with and extra quart of gas so lost new oil and filter to it. Put one on from Advance and it was bad out of the box. you can test with brake bleed vacuum pump. Got another at Advance and been good for 3 years.

Back