Mechanical Fuel Pumps. Whatcha Got?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya that’s why I got the Carter since Stanglover already had a Delphi. We’ll have to see.
I don’t know what fuel pump is on my car that failed. It was new when I got the car, so it’s probably from 2013 or so.
 Well, now you've put the "mockers" on the Delphi, I'd better order another one soon!!

Don't know the brand of fuel pump but purchased it from Summit Racing.

A bit off the subject but what is the size of the rubber fuel line from the tank?

Want to install a check valve.  After the car sits for a while the gas drains back 

to the tank.

mike

Don't know the brand of fuel pump but purchased it from Summit Racing.

A bit off the subject but what is the size of the rubber fuel line from the tank?

Want to install a check valve.  After the car sits for a while the gas drains back 

to the tank.

mike

3/8"

Before you spend money on a check valve, test your theory. Pull the inlet line off the pump and see if gas pours out. 

The real issue is the fuel is evaporating from the carburetor bowls. 

3/8"

Before you spend money on a check valve, test your theory. Pull the inlet line off the pump and see if gas pours out. 

The real issue is the fuel is evaporating from the carburetor bowls. 
We removed the air filter and cranked the engine for a good 25 seconds or so until

we saw fuel in the carb. 

On a different note, what battery could crank a high compression Cleveland (D0AE)

for 25+ seconds with no noticeable loss of power?

mike

While waiting on the new fuel pump I decided to inspect the fuel filter (was fine), then bypassed it and the Summit regulator. Just wanted to eliminate them from the equation and not have any surprises. Max I could get running straight from the FP to the carb was just under 4. RPM's didn't change the reading either. Within 2-3 minutes all the pressure bleeds off, but carb bowls remain at the right level. Gotta have a hole in the diaphragm as suspected. 

EDIT - Also just looked underneath and what do you know. Starting to leak externally. Just a drop, but it's there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya that’s why I got the Carter since Stanglover already had a Delphi. We’ll have to see.
I don’t know what fuel pump is on my car that failed. It was new when I got the car, so it’s probably from 2013 or so.
Hey Jpaz, Watch this video and look at the comments. I'd inspect that Carter before you put it in. Seems like quite a few people running into this with their pumps. 

Skip to 2 minutes in the video. 

Hey thanks for the video Big Red Mach 1, I really appreciate it! I will definitely check that out.
No worries John. I figured it was worth a quick 3 second investigation of your new pump before you put it in and hooked it up. Let us know how it goes. I hope to get my Delphi pump here tomorrow, and will still be checking for this before I put it in. 

No worries John. I figured it was worth a quick 3 second investigation of your new pump before you put it in and hooked it up. Let us know how it goes. I hope to get my Delphi pump here tomorrow, and will still be checking for this before I put it in. 
 Very useful video there. Something I did not think about, but now I know what to check for. I do not notice any knocking sounds with the Delphi, so hopefully I dodged that issue. As for Spectra pumps, I didn't see them on RockAuto, but as Spectra make our fuel tanks and sending units, I suppose it makes sense they make the pumps as well.

Good luck with the Delphi, hope I didn't steer you wrong.

Got the new fuel pump on. Good thing I needed to change the oil anyway because the oil filter had to come off to give me some room. The A/C compressor and PS pump block all access from the top. Every time I see a non-A/C car under hood photo I'm jealous of all the room they have. That A/C compressor is a beast. 

I took the time to install the new T-Meyer fitting that lets you run the higher flow oil filter. I do have a leak at the back of the PS pump where the fitting enters the pump. Probably just a seal. Gonna need to address that at a different time. 

Have not fired it up yet. My oil on hand is Amsoil marine 20-50. I run it in my Windsor with zero issues. But have not decided if I want to run that or not in this Cleveland. Probably will. 

Before I lower her back down, I'm going to drain the tranny fluid and change the filter. Then I'll throw oil in her and fire her up. Should have results tomorrow. 

BTW- The fuel pump on the car was no longer a Holley. Same OEM type like these Carters and Delphi pumps. At some point the Holley must have finally bit the bullet on Eddie before he sold it. These darn things don't last do they? We have ethanol fuel out here, so that probably makes it even worse. 

I got the Carter fuel pump last week and the pump arm seems to be ok. It has very little play in both directions like it should and the secondary return spring is good too. Haven’t had a chance to install it yet, very busy with work. Can’t drive it now anyway cause of the weather, so after things calm down in a couple weeks I’ll be able to get it in. Plus I’ve been wanting to redo my fuel line with a new custom bent steel line from the pump to the carb. Perfect little winter project.

I got the Carter fuel pump last week and the pump arm seems to be ok. It has very little play in both directions like it should and the secondary return spring is good too. Haven’t had a chance to install it yet, very busy with work. Can’t drive it now anyway cause of the weather, so after things calm down in a couple weeks I’ll be able to get it in. Plus I’ve been wanting to redo my fuel line with a new custom bent steel line from the pump to the carb. Perfect little winter project.
That's good. My Delphi is good so far also. I'm in the same boat. I need to fab up a steel line from the pump to my regulator, and one from my regulator to my carb. I bought all of the bending and flaring tools. I just need a couple of scrap pieces to test my abilities on. 

That's good. My Delphi is good so far also. I'm in the same boat. I need to fab up a steel line from the pump to my regulator, and one from my regulator to my carb. I bought all of the bending and flaring tools. I just need a couple of scrap pieces to test my abilities on. 
I'm sure you've seen my pics of the fuel line I made up for my car. It did take me a couple of tries to get what I wanted and to keep the line at least 1" off the block. I also used as short piece of injector rubber hose to connect to the pump, a, as an easy connection and b, as a vibration buffer. Anyway, these aren't the best pics, but might lead you in the right direction. I used 3/8" copper lined steel fuel line 36" long with 3/8NPT fittings on both ends. I just cut one off.

img 0985 is the "around the back" PCV tube I made to make it look more correct.

fuel line 2.JPG

fuel line 3.JPG

fule line 4.JPG

fule line 5.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

Thanks Geoff! I knew you had some pics of how you did yours and I am planning on about the same. Also appreciate the info on the length of how much line to get. Saves me from figuring out a few things. Thanks again 👍

I'm sure you've seen my pics of the fuel line I made up for my car. It did take me a couple of tries to get what I wanted and to keep the line at least 1" off the block. I also used as short piece of injector rubber hose to connect to the pump, a, as an easy connection and b, as a vibration buffer. Anyway, these aren't the best pics, but might lead you in the right direction. I used 3/8" copper lined steel fuel line 36" long with 3/8NPT fittings on both ends. I just cut one off....
Are you not running a fuel filter, or is it somewhere in line before the pump?

Latest posts

Back