MechEng's Build Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lifters are cheap and relatively easy to replace. If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, I could help; it is about a two hour bob.. If you want to button everything up I'll be glad to come up to Elizabethtown and give it a listen.
Jeff,

Once I make it to Elizabethtown I'll keep this offer in mind! Right now I'm still in California trying to wrap up as many things as possible while I have my parents garage to use.

Wasn't I just at this point a few months ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL such is the ownership of an old muscle car. Do it once, do it again, do it right, do it again anyway.
So true! This is the list of things I need to accomplish before the car gets loaded for transport:

• Replace front soft brake lines
  • Repair both front calipers
  • Install new brake hardware
  • New brake pads
  • Finish passenger side wheel bearing rebuild
  • Finish drivers side wheel bearing rebuild
  • replace front timing cover seal
  • install new harmonic balancer
  • reinstall water pump
  • reinstall p/w pump
  • reinstall alternator
  • Flush radiator and coolant passages
  • Oil change and new filter
  • Drop transmission pan / new seal
  • Install rear valence / lisence plate

I think that's it as far as getting it back together enough to be driveable once it's in kentucky. Hopefully have this all knocked out by the end of next week

LOL such is the ownership of an old muscle car. Do it once, do it again, do it right, do it again anyway.
So true! This is the list of things I need to accomplish before the car gets loaded for transport:

• Replace front soft brake lines
  • Repair both front calipers
  • Install new brake hardware
  • New brake pads
  • Finish passenger side wheel bearing rebuild
  • Finish drivers side wheel bearing rebuild
  • replace front timing cover seal
  • install new harmonic balancer
  • reinstall water pump
  • reinstall p/w pump
  • reinstall alternator
  • Flush radiator and coolant passages
  • Oil change and new filter
  • Drop transmission pan / new seal
  • Install rear valence / lisence plate

I think that's it as far as getting it back together enough to be driveable once it's in kentucky. Hopefully have this all knocked out by the end of next week
Are you moving to Kentucky? Or did ya sell the car?

Are you moving to Kentucky? Or did ya sell the car?
Kinder,

I'm moving to Kentucky. Got a new job out that way so I'm hitting the road. Just bummed I never got the car put together enough to meet any of the awesome people here in California that share in my obsession!

I think I can make something work. This weekends no good for me, but I could do next weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got the calipers pulled apart tonight. Looks like the old brake fluid rotted in the lines. Quite a bit of junk in them. I'm glad I took the time to open them up and check. Soft brake lines are toast as well but I have new ones. Need to get the torch out to get the fittings to free up so that's tomorrow's project. Then get the wheels buttoned up and back on the car before I drop the transmission pan again. With the front jacked up in the air it's dumping fluid pretty badly out the pan gasket. Going well though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let us know how you get the lines cleaned out. I am doing the brakes right now. I ended up replacing all the lines on the rear end and the soft line. But am afraid to hook up to the mainline until I figure out how to purge. Also need to replace my master cylider and front calipers. Not sure if I have to tear apart the proportioning valve. Did you take apart the proportioning valve or are you just purging?

Let us know how you get the lines cleaned out. I am doing the brakes right now. I ended up replacing all the lines on the rear end and the soft line. But am afraid to hook up to the mainline until I figure out how to purge. Also need to replace my master cylider and front calipers. Not sure if I have to tear apart the proportioning valve. Did you take apart the proportioning valve or are you just purging?
I had a major plug in the rear soft line that I originally thought to be a bad proportioning valve. So I bought a rebuild kit for the valve from NPD and tore it apart and cleaned it out, there was a lot of grime build up in there.

Once I get the front soft lines off my plan is to disconnect the lines at the proportioning valve and use shop air to blow all the fluid in the hard lines to the front out, I already manually pumped good clean fluid through the rear lines so I know they're good.

The valve is really easy to take down clean and service, so I highly recommend that you do it, just make sure you have a clean work space so that you don't loose any parts. It's cheap insurance and good peace of mind.

I had a major plug in the rear soft line that I originally thought to be a bad proportioning valve. So I bought a rebuild kit for the valve from NPD and tore it apart and cleaned it out, there was a lot of grime build up in there.

Once I get the front soft lines off my plan is to disconnect the lines at the proportioning valve and use shop air to blow all the fluid in the hard lines to the front out, I already manually pumped good clean fluid through the rear lines so I know they're good.

The valve is really easy to take down clean and service, so I highly recommend that you do it, just make sure you have a clean work space so that you don't loose any parts. It's cheap insurance and good peace of mind.
Which kit did you use? Sounds like I will take your advice. Thanks!

Well the fateful day is almost here. I set out cross country this Sunday.

On the Mach I managed to get basically all my tasks done. Front end rebuilt, seals replaced, put a bunch of trim back on, and drove it around the block a bit.

Sad news, trailers are way more expensive than I thought. Good news, it's basically the same price for me to ship it. So the car is going to lag me about a week or two I think.

So, who's out in Kentucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safely made it to my new home! Looks like there's room in the parking lot for the Mach 1 so I'm going to have it shipped shortly.

Now I just need to find people in this neck of the woods and actually meet some of you! Maybe I'll run up to ohio and give Don a visit for that fender I need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to here of someone finally in Kentucky! Im 15 years old and me and my dad are currently restoring a 1972 mustang coupe. We are in Louisville, maybe an hour and a half north of you. There are plenty of auto shows to visit each summer and many mustang stores if you ever need anything. In jeffersonville kentucky there is a store called "Kentucky Mustang". It's a 75,000 sq. ft. Building of 65-73 mustang parts if you ever need anything. It's relatively close to you I think.

Thought I'd pop in here just to let everyone know that I'm still alive. The car is unfortunately still in California as I deal with getting things figured out here in Kentucky and paying for a wedding in September.

It looks like the car wont make its' journey eastward until the end of the year when I make the move south to Huntsville. Remington is moving their R&D facility down there so I move with it! Should be able to land a nice townhome with a garage and get back to work on her.

In the mean time I'm having lots of fun playing with guns and getting paid for it! Life is good eh?

You can come work on my car if you get bored

And I play with guns as much as cars
Jeff,

Name the time and place! I'm down in Nashville on occasion already for various things. I'm putting the finishing touches on an AR-15 that I'm going to need to take out an dial in as well

Back