MechEng's Build Thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yesterday I started up the process of cleaning the car out of all the parts I've been storing on the back seat (That fold down seat is a real nice feature!) because if I'm able to get some time off from work I am going to deliver the car to the body shop this Friday to get the rust in the rear section looked at and hopefully taken care of. The guy I'm going to is supposedly "the guy" in my local area for Mustang work (As informed to me by a fellow mustang enthusiast with a 66 Vert) so hopefully he does good quick work! (I'm not even going to pretend to hope it's cheap)

I need some help guys. I need to know what parts make up the fresh air breather in the air filter. Also I've got an oil leak somewhere in the front of the engine near the fuel pump. The engine vomits oil once it's warmed up and held at 4000 rpms. Any ideas on that?

My new gas cap also came. It's a Ford unit but the instructions inside say they're from 1993 which is interesting. Anyone know where I can buy the rest of the mounting hardware?

e8a4yhev.jpg

8agymevu.jpg

y6y2ever.jpg

u2uqadez.jpg

dagesyty.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

te8a9a6y.jpg

nunygase.jpg

e5utuhem.jpg

9e2yjyve.jpg

Very impressed with the shop. They did amazing work. The car looks awesome! Not to get the rear all put back together so I can start driving it!

And just for kicks....

utagubu7.jpg

This is my new dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's been a while since I've posted so I thought I'd chime in a quick update.

Life has been crazy for the past month or so.

I have the car partially torn apart at the moment, doing new front rotors, rebuilding the calipers, new brake hardware, and new front shocks since it's still sporting the originals from 1973.

I also have the engine torn apart, radiator drained, PS pump removed, alternator removed, and soon to yank the timing cover and water pump to redo the seals since I messed them up the first time I did this. Also noted that my Harmonic Balancer is toast, big chunks of rubber missing.

It is also my intention to pull the valve covers, I have a rather loud intermittent tick and occasional miss that has me thinking I have a bent pushrod in the drivers side. Going to pull the covers to get a look.

But I'm on a tight time table, I have to have the car together and ready for transport by May 24th, because I'm moving across the country.

I got a new job! And I'll be moving to Elizabethtown, Kentucky. I also got engaged. So I've been busy!

Should have more pics of the car to come this weekend.

Congrats on the job and fiancée ! If you need a new balancer I have one you can have if you have a Cleveland. You pay shipping and its yours. Its in good shape, I just got a new one when I built my stroker motor.

Hey Congrats... new job... new fiance. Life does move pretty fast. I lived in Louisville KY for 3 years and really enjoyed it. A few words of advise... if you drink, start drinking bourbon and try to see the Derby while your there at least once. Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Congrats on everything.

I'm a few hours south of Elizabethtown, but not to far to get together and turn a wrench or lift a glass from time to time. I have several good harmonic balancers if you should still need one just let me know. Heck, once your in Kentucky, I might even deliver it. :D

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! And rest assured, she does like Mustangs! (She's even keen enough to sit in the garage and just chat with me while I work on it, how'd I get that lucky?!)

Just for grins here's a picture of the two of us!

erz7uo.jpg

(I'm the ugly bloke on the left)

Anyway, back to the mustang. I wish I'd had the forethought to get one of you guys over here to listen to my engine before I started tearing it apart. I've got a ticking noise, rather intermittent, pretty obviously coming from the drivers' side head, it's not always there, and the intensity varies as well. I know it's hard to diagnose sounds over the internet, but any thoughts on what the could be? One of my other friends thinks it's a lifter that isn't pumping up, but it's not giving me the warm fuzzies to hear that.

Lifters are cheap and relatively easy to replace. If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, I could help; it is about a two hour bob.. If you want to button everything up I'll be glad to come up to Elizabethtown and give it a listen.

Back