Mustang 429CJ engine or not

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roland

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1 351C Q-Code, original Ram Air, gold glow with black interior
Wondering if this is a real and correct 429CJ engine in this 1971 Mustang Mach1?
I assume, due to its wrong valve covers, it might be an 429 from a Thunderbird? How can I found out please?

Attachments

• IMG_2086.png
    IMG_2086.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
More than likely a 429 from a T-bird or full size car as you suspect, but hard to pass judgement without seeing the casting numbers and under the breather and valvecovers.

You would need to get the block, head and intake casting numbers to start with.

https://www.mustangtek.com/

More than likely a 429 from a T-bird or full size car as you suspect, but hard to pass judgement without seeing the casting numbers and under the breather and valvecovers.

Will try to get them, car is going to an auction locally! It‘s a nice looking one…

It should have large intake ports in the intake manifold and be visable by the aircleaner at the center of the intake front to back. The valve covers are aluminum with fins. The engine was replaced as you said..Tbird . The upper out board valve cover bolts will leak vacuum if removed

It should have large intake ports in the intake manifold and be visable by the aircleaner at the center of the intake front to back. The valve covers are aluminum with fins. The engine was replaced as you said..Tbird . The upper out board valve cover bolts will leak vacuum if removed
Not

Looking at the driver side, just above and to the left of the number 7 spark plug and at the bottom of the valve cover flange you should be able to see the head casting number. I can see it on my car, but I can’t get the camera angle to show it because the shock tower is in the way.
CJ/SCJ head casting number is D0OE-R.
Other head casting numbers C8VE, C9VE, D0VE, D1VE are all small combustion chamber heads. D2 and later are large combustion chamber heads. There’s also a police interceptor head, D2OE, if I remember correctly they have standard size ports and cobra jet size valves.
I am curious, is the car’s engine code a C or a J?

Looking at the driver side, just above and to the left of the number 7 spark plug and at the bottom of the valve cover flange you should be able to see the head casting number. I can see it on my car, but I can’t get the camera angle to show it because the shock tower is in the way.
CJ/SCJ head casting number is D0OE-R.
Other head casting numbers C8VE, C9VE, D0VE, D1VE are all small combustion chamber heads. D2 and later are large combustion chamber heads. There’s also a police interceptor head, D2OE, if I remember correctly they have standard size ports and cobra jet size valves.
I am curious, is the car’s engine code a C or a J?
It has a ram air air cleaner,so it should be a J

This site is a great resource for the 71 big block cars

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/

That air cleaner looks to be a small block version, you can tell because the seal is offset forward for the small blocks.

As others have said there are a lot of non-CJ parts in that picture, so I would assume that it isn't a correct engine.

It is a J code, just got the Marti Report.
Also got the numbers of the block, see pictures attached. It seems to be a D1VE block, I expected to see a D0VE, because car was build on January 1971? Still confused…

Attachments

• 20240814_214150.jpeg
    20240814_214150.jpeg
    747.3 KB · Views: 0
It is a J code, just got the Marti Report.
Also got the numbers of the block, see pictures attached. It seems to be a D1VE block, I expected to see a D0VE, because car was build on January 1971? Still confused…

Attachments

• 20240814_213911.jpeg
    20240814_213911.jpeg
    987.5 KB · Views: 0
Marti Report

Attachments

• Marti 429 silver.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
If the block number is D1VE-6015-AA it’s a thick web block and possibly a CJ block. If it’s not numbered as above, it’s a thin web block.

As I understand it, the D0VE-A block is a 4-bolt SC/SCJ block. The D1VE-6015-AA may or may not be a thick web block. I have one, fully assembled, sitting on a stand. It's an engine I built back in the 80's and I wasn't aware of the thick web 2-bolt main and I didn't pay attention when I put it together. I know for certain it is a 2-bolt block. It originally was a 460 that came out of a 1978 ford 4x4.

Take a look at the thread linked below. This has some info on the D1VE block. On post #40, a guy named Paul Kane chimes in. Paul is VERY knowledgable on 385 series. I talked to him 1 on 1 and his opinion was that my block is almost surely a thin web block.

https://www.460ford.com/threads/thick-web-429-460-blocks.222769/

This link is the engine block section on the mustang/cougar site that was linked earlier in this thread. When I was researching this, I found pictures of D1VE-6015-AA blocks that are thin web, so I know it's not a sure thing.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_3.htm

The ultimate proof of engine block provenance is the partial VIN stamp on the rear of the driver's side of the block above the bellhousing flange but below the cylinder head:
1723741560184.png

This is stolen from an Ebay ad, the VIN for this car is 1F05C129430.

For the car you are looking at the partial would be 1F165223. Easiest to see this from underneath the car looking up from the side of the transmission. At some point in the 71 MY CJ/SCJ blocks changed from the D0VE-A to the D1VE castings. I don't think there is consensus on when this change happened but I may be wrong on that.

This is a thin web block, the bulkhead is lower than the cap/ pan rail:

1723741787753.png

This is a thick web or CJ/SCJ block- the bulkhead is thicker and machined to the same height as the cap mating surface and pan rail:

1723741861773.png

The ultimate proof of engine block provenance is the partial VIN stamp on the rear of the driver's side of the block above the bellhousing flange but below the cylinder head:
View attachment 91994

This is stolen from an Ebay ad, the VIN for this car is 1F05C129430.

For the car you are looking at the partial would be 1F165223. Easiest to see this from underneath the car looking up from the side of the transmission. At some point in the 71 MY CJ/SCJ blocks changed from the D0VE-A to the D1VE castings. I don't think there is consensus on when this change happened but I may be wrong on that.

This is a thin web block, the bulkhead is lower than the cap/ pan rail:

View attachment 91995

This is a thick web or CJ/SCJ block- the bulkhead is thicker and machined to the same height as the cap mating surface and pan rail:

View attachment 91996
Plenty of those thick web blocks in Lincoln’s and what not. All D0VE blocks are like that.
I like the D0VE blocks with the big A in the front.
I had a I numbers matching 1970 Cobra 429 cobra jet car early build with a C9 block.
Some CJ’s have CJ cast into the lifter valley but all.
Lots of 2 bolt CJ’s were built in the early 70 production but all SCJ’s received 4 bolt blocks. Towards the end of 70 production Ford starting using 4 bolt blocks on all CJ’s also and all 71 CJ’s were 4 bolt.
At least that’s what I have concluded.

Back