Mustang II suspension

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
I've been back and forth for weeks on deciding to use a mustang II frontend or using a coilover setup like global west. Has anyone attempted a mustang II conversion?

Paul Horton's Welder Series has a 60" Mustang II crossmember, which based on this link, it will fit the 71-73 mustang.

http://www.welderseries.com/blog/mustang-ii-application-chart/

I've been weighing my options and when it comes to cost, it will be about the same. Except the mII setup will have rack and pinion and I can do away with the spring perches. Only the mII will be a TON more work...What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill let you know how it goes. This is the set up Im using on my Kiger stang resto mod. I really want to get rid of the shock towers. Ill likely use heavy gauge metal to replace the shock tower and make custom supports that fit at the top of the inner fender wells where the towers used to be. Ill also build a tubular support from inner fender to inner fender. This will still give the stang plenty of support while gaining space in the engine compartment for that Coyote motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used a Mustang II front suspension so I can't speak to that. I have used a lot of Global West products in the past and they have always performed as advertised. Great products but not cheap. Chuck

A buddy of mine is using a heidts kit in his 68 mustang and it looks and works great. His kit came with the weld in crossmember and drop spindles, power rack and pinion, all the steering linkages, and also pre formed sheet metal to cut out the shock towers. It was a good bit of welding but wasnt too bad at all to do. He has a 390 in his car and can change the headers with ease now. He really likes the set up and all the heidts made parts fit perfect. I just installed a mustang II heidts kit on a 1950 chevy pick up for a guy and i have to say that their products are top of the line. [/i]

Back