My beautiful 72 convertible - Wrecked & Ruined

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 convertible, 351C
Last Saturday I was on a short drive heading back home on a busy suburban road. Another vehicle driven by a total idiot decides to turn left through the intersection as I am crossing it and broadsides me. I swerved slightly just prior to impact and was hit real hard in the left quarter panel also impacting the driver's door.

Happened so fast. I wanted to strangle this person but kept my cool. Thankfully no one was injured. Of course the jackass was driving on a suspended license, had no insurance and plates from a different vehicle 🙄

Anyway, needless to say I'm totally bummed out. After owning this car for 20 years and always treating it with extreme care, making nice improvements, etc and finally discovering this amazing forum this year it's a real shame.

I've contacted a few resto shops and sent images and received some responses. The consensus seems to be that there is likely frame damage as the pillar has been pushed some. Also the driver's door will not open, overlapping the rear quarter about and inch.

My ins adjuster should get back soon on what they think it would run. Seems like restos now are really high like everything else, painting the car could run 20-30k alone.

One place I contacted, The Creative Workshop, I'm Dania FL- I am in the South Florida area - wouldn't take it on as they do not deal with insurance. Another place Realistic Restorations in St. Petersburg, seems pretty good after speaking with them, but they said I could be in for more well than 35k potentially, depending on what they find, after paint, body and mechanical and that might only cover a partial repaint, not whole car. Both said likely frame damage. Another shop said the motor would need to come out to repair frame, not sure about that.

The motor did not seem damaged but there could be lots going on not visible. Amazingly I did not see any leaking fluids.

Just curious what you guys think. Anyone know of any good shops in in South Florida or near by chance? Anyone else ever go through this type of thing with their car? Not sure what ins will do. I have a decent stated policy but dont know yet what they will do or of it's worth it to try and restore it, even though I have loved it for so long as it could be a big $$ rabbit hole to run down. And I was just finishing the few last little things on my list and really enjoying it..

If I posted this in the wrong area my apologies. Any input or tips are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240730_141936.jpg
    20240730_141936.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240730_141931.jpg
    20240730_141931.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240727_163507.jpg
    20240727_163507.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240727_085453.jpg
    20240727_085453.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240727_085506.jpg
    20240727_085506.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240727_091717.jpg
    20240727_091717.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240727_092940.jpg
    20240727_092940.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240727_092925.jpg
    20240727_092925.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
I am so sorry for you. I am glad you are okay. This is my concern every time I drive mine, that some idiot will take out my car. It's my second Mustang and the second car I ever owned. The first one, a 73 Mach1, was taken out by a drunk driver.

I hope it turns out for you but that looks pretty bad.

It sickens me to see that, especially considering the other factors (lack of valid license, insurance, plates). It is probably my greatest fear each time I take one of my cars out. For years now, look at all of the drivers texting and using their smartphones in other ways while driving. And driving skills in general have been drastically dumbed down over the years. I've been the victim of a number of accidents over the years, going back to 1980-ish. Had a beautiful '68 GTO in Verdoro Green with black vinyl top. Going slowly on a side street to the main intersection with a stop sign. Out of a back alley an elderly hairdresser getting off of work hits my driver's side rear quarter panel with her '72 Impala. Said she didn't see me. What a sick feeling, and I just had body work and a repaint completed shortly before that occurred. Again, sorry for your loss. Frame damage on a unibody car can be tough. Of course almost anything can be repaired, but it would take a long time and you'd likely be dealing with issues afterward.

Sorry about your mishap Mel. We all understand how heartbreaking this is. I would let the process play out with the insurance company and get the car to a resto shop for an in-person inspection. Photos can be very deceiving for a body shop to make an accurate damage assessment.
Real shit-head who hit you-no insurance, no license and swapped plates. Pathetic!!

So very sorry to see this, had it happen to me a few years back. Glad to hear that you are ok. Was able to get my car fixed back up and it’s actually better than it was before. I have Hagerty and they covered everything, hopefully your coverage will be enough or it may get totaled. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Very sorry to see this happen. I'm always watching the other guy, as you never know what they'll do. There's a couple shops that I've seen excellent work from, you might want to contact them to see if they'd take it on. Gillis is in Florida, the other in Illinois.

https://gillisrestorations.com/

https://www.mustangrestorations.com/

Oh man, my worse nightmare!!
Really hope you can fix it!
While there could be frame or A-pilar damage, only some inspection will tell, our doors and their hinges are massive, they surely can absorb lots of energy and left the frame intact while it looks terrible. The picts shows more as if the impact was absorbed most by the suspension. I really hope it’s the case as it would simplify the tasks and costs to rebuild it.
Keep us informed! I’m sure some of us also have parts may you’d need some!

That's really really unfortunate. Tough call here. Maybe time look for another. Really hard decision, but for me if it happened at my age I'd look for another car. Given the repair shop times and skill needed it might take years.

That's really really unfortunate. Tough call here. Maybe time look for another. Really hard decision, but for me if it happened at my age I'd look for another car. Given the repair shop times and skill needed it might take years.
Thanks for the comments. Not sure yet 🤔 but might be smarter to move on, time will tell.

Well dammmmm…

It could be rebuilt for sure, but from an insurance perspective I would bet it’s totaled….i had a minor rear hit, 7 months total repair process, 4 months in shop, $8k.

You probably need work on floorpan and firewall, door pillar, replacement of Dr side front frame, possibly radiator support. A bunch of suspension bits, door, fender, grill components, and on and on…and possibly the passenger side front end was tweaked too…so tons of work there…

It looks like a great car, if you can buy it back cheap, tons of very usable parts on it….and glad you are OK.

I am very sorry this happened to you. There are a lot terrible drivers out there. We all have seen it. If it was my car I would not right it off until I knew more of what lies beneath. 2 days ago my daily driver 2017 Mazda 6 got hit in the left rear bumper when I was in the store for 5 minutes. Naturally the person that did it screwed and of course no one saw anything. That is nothing compared to your situation but it is more proof that our society is going down the tubes.

Ron

Oh man, my worse nightmare!!
Really hope you can fix it!
While there could be frame or A-pilar damage, only some inspection will tell, our doors and their hinges are massive, they surely can absorb lots of energy and left the frame intact while it looks terrible. The picts shows more as if the impact was absorbed most by the suspension. I really hope it’s the case as it would simplify the tasks and costs to rebuild it.
Keep us informed! I’m sure some of us also have parts may you’d need some!
Thanks for your input. You make some good points
It sickens me to see that, especially considering the other factors (lack of valid license, insurance, plates). It is probably my greatest fear each time I take one of my cars out. For years now, look at all of the drivers texting and using their smartphones in other ways while driving. And driving skills in general have been drastically dumbed down over the years. I've been the victim of a number of accidents over the years, going back to 1980-ish. Had a beautiful '68 GTO in Verdoro Green with black vinyl top. Going slowly on a side street to the main intersection with a stop sign. Out of a back alley an elderly hairdresser getting off of work hits my driver's side rear quarter panel with her '72 Impala. Said she didn't see me. What a sick feeling, and I just had body work and a repaint completed shortly before that occurred. Again, sorry for your loss. Frame damage on a unibody car can be tough. Of course almost anything can be repaired, but it would take a long time and you'd likely be dealing with issues afterward.
Thanks for your comments Don, appreciate it.

So sorry that you're having to go through this mess. Unlicensed and uninsured drivers are a crisis all over the country. Here in Texas, it's estimated that over 30% of drivers are uninsured. I've been hit by uninsured drivers twice, once in a late-model Mustang.

The damage to your car is repairable, but the cost will be steep. I would consider buying a straight '71 or '72 body and transferring everything salvageable from your car to the replacement car. Lot of work, but probably less cost.

No matter what, buy the wrecked car back from your insurance company. If you can't reasonably repair it or don't want to find another body, part it out and recover thousands of dollars from the parts.

I am very sorry this happened to you. There are a lot terrible drivers out there. We all have seen it. If it was my car I would not right it off until I knew more of what lies beneath. 2 days ago my daily driver 2017 Mazda 6 got hit in the left rear bumper when I was in the store for 5 minutes. Naturally the person that did it screwed and of course no one saw anything. That is nothing compared to your situation but it is more proof that our society is going down the tubes.

Ron
Ron, thanks for your comments. It seems there are lots of idiots out there being enabled by lax enforcement. I guess they can't prevent someone from using other tags though. Too many distracted drivers these days not paying attention also.

The problem with this guy is that accidents happen. I get that. But his actions were criminal!!! And now because of this someone is going thru a whole of shit, time, stress and money. I'd put his ass in jail. Pissing me off this morning!!!!
Yes these actions were criminal and no real accountability at all. No insurance and likely has no assets, etc. Should definitely not be on the road and should have been jailed but wasn't. Doesn't give 2 shits about the laws or anyone else. Pisses me off big time too!

Latest posts

Back