My engine build thread (NEW PICTURES)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I can get away with it as I've been divorced for nearly 10 years.

This weekend I got the block and heads painted, the heads are installed, the valvetrain is fully installed and adjusted for the first start. BTW adjusting lash with the girdles is a bit time consuming, I think I went thru each valve 5 times before I got everything perfect.

Oil Galley plug behind distributor/cam gear has been drilled for some extra oil at the gear.

Intake manifold and front plate are just cleaned up and just sitting on the motor, distributor drive gear is swapped, oil pump pick up and pan have all been dry fitted and will be installed later this week as I want some nice, new, clean hardware. Also I'm unhappy with the clearance as it is .400 without the gaskets and I think it should be tighter. Canton says a 1/2 is okay with a deep sump pan, so technically I'm good. I don''t know if I could even bend the pick up if I tried!

So here are some new pictures to make those of you who like pictures happy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Jeff. Working in the house could be nice. I would have to admit though that if I tried that, it would probably be the last time I would see the interior of the house.

Don't ask about using the dishwasher to clean the intake manifold for the final time! If it makes any difference, the playroom is right off the garage and was a garage and a half many years before I bought the house. So I am sort of working in the garage. :D

It has been nice to work in a clean, well lit environment with heat and air. Being able to just walk away and return, or leave it for a few days at a time has really led to my being able to be very meticulous on every detail. There is no way I would want to run the valves 5 times turning the engine by hand in an engine compartment- my back would not survive that. I was able to watch, adjust, and verify that every valve tip was being contacted properly through the full range of rocker arm travel as well as measure and remeasure every clearance. I just don't believe I could be as thorough in a garage environment.

Cleaning up those engine stand scuff marks on that floor is going to be a pain. Me, I bought a window AC/Heater for the garage. Has kept me out of trouble so far, :) but tell me more about that intake in the dish washer idea. :p

First I scrubbed and rinsed my manifold using Purple Power cleaner and a soft nylon brush. Then, I ran my intake through my dishwasher with dish detergent and then baked it in the oven for 2 hours with the oven set to self clean. It came out looking almost new.

You might be able to tell in some of the new pictures

2jagkk2.jpg

14183f5.jpg

Which brings me to a question. Should I paint the valve cover spacers black, blue, or just hit them with a bead blaster and call it a day?

I did grind off the outer flange as it was sharp and I really didn't want to slice up my hands whenever I worked on the engine. When I have time, I may have the covers and spacers tig welded together. (and no I could not just turn them upside down as the flange and the recess in the valve covers didn't fit together-I did try)

front cover, water pump, intake and valve covers are all dry fit at this time and I am cleaning some hardware before I put gaskets in place and seal it up.

I did get the new heater core block side nipple installed last night after making up a driver out of a piece of all thread and a rubber washer and a nut. I probably just could have used my plastic faced hammer, but I didn't want to take a chance of kinking the tube. Worked great and a thin layer of sealant pushed out and looks like a ragged little o-ring.

234.jpg

Wow! that looks nice. My wife would absolutely kill me if I built my engine inside the house. Congrats.

Something I'll never forget...

Went to visit my 3 cousins(all grown boys) still living at home because it's against their religion to work...

Sponging off poor old mum still.

Went upstairs to the lounge room, and there was one of them, black hands, sitting on the white leather lounge watching tv while lapping his motor bike valves on his lap.

Needless to say, the lounge suite didn't stay white for long.

We've stopped going there now... all 3 have lost our respect for the way they treat their old mother (my auntie).

To be fair about it, the room I'm working in is unused most of the time and The hide a bed in there is like 30 years old. The Piano is mostly a joke-it was 150 bucks and I bought it to make my mom play when she visits because she won't play anymore and she was really talented. The wood floors look decent, but they are cupped and I plan to sand and refinish them once all my existing projects are out of the way. All my work in there is pretty clean stuff-I move it to the garage for painting and anything that could make a mess that could not be cleaned up.

The alternatives were to work in the garage and park my 2014 car under the trees, work in the basement which has no direct access to the house, is unheated and has all my woodworking and metalworking tools and a couple of motorcycles and lots of spare car parts in it It's 600 square feet filled with 700 square feet of stuff.

I decided that it was build it in the house and take my time to be sure I did everything to a level I would be happy with, or pay someone to do it for me and not be a part of the build I was managing. that wasn't okay with me.

As to the dishwasher. . . yeah, if I was married I wouldn't pull that crap, but it was pretty friggin' clean when I put it in there and I cleaned the dishwasher afterwards, it is spotless.

I know it may be hard to imagine, but I am a bit of a clean freak. My hands are red and cracked from all the washing I tend to do.

Now the fact that I use furniture like a sideboard and a highboy to store tools and motorcycle and small car parts (only new and clean ones) is probably a bit more eccentric, but they cost less than tool cabinets and are much more substantial. Yeah, I admit it I'm odd, but if you read my oposts, you know that.

Man, Jeff, your engine is beautiful. I might print the picture of it and hand it above my bed. :p
Doc, hope your wife doesn't walk in on that :p:p:p:p:p

Back