My engine build thread (NEW PICTURES)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've been dealing with other things lately, but I finally got the engine a little further along- She is ready to come off the engine stand and get the flywheel, pilot bearing, bellhousing clutch assembly etc all put on. My not be until after New years before I have anymore free time.

Also in tribute to the movie "Grand Prix" I mounted my headers upside down to just make it look cool (2 bolts a side no gaskets)

So without further delay I present

71ihxw.jpg

ws1jxv.jpg

Well the weather forecast this week is looking tolerable, so yesterday the engine came out of the house and went into the garage, where I set the flywheel/bellhousing assembly up and checked runout and clearance, made some modifications to allow the Lakewood to fit and got it all bolted togeter with only .002 runout.

I have a short list of items and today I am going to mount the transmission and time permitting (and an extra set of hands available) drop the assembly into the car.

Here is a teaser photo

2qu6tts.jpg

Paint is drying. I managed to snap off a pressure plate mounting bolt, so everything came off the back of the engine and got a fresh coat of paint.

Flywheel is drilled all the way through, so I took a small bit from the back side and drilled into the 3/4 inch long remaining bolt until it started to unscrew itself.

So today's progress was relatively minor, I picked up and installed a set of plugs, did some final engine compartment prep and repair, did a little grinding on the bellhousing so I wouldn't need to use a wrench in one tight spot, and did a fair amount of cleaning and painting. i could run get some pressure plate mounting bolts, but I want to have my starter tested, so I think I am done until tomorrow. the paint should cure completely at least lol

Starter uses on bolt in the lakewood bellhousing and one in the block plate. Block plate has a nut welded on the back (actually two-but the one that matters is at issue_ but the corner of the nut is clipped off and as a result the bolt threads spread it and it won't tighten down.

In the next night or two I will pull it back apart and either weld the end of the nut closed and chase the threads :( or grind it off altogether and weld a new nut in place.

Starter tested good and on the current test assembly (plate, flywheel, bellhousing and starter) it spun the engine and engaged and disengaged cleanly.

At this rate it will be done shortly after I die.

Keep up the good work!!! Any progress is always good. If it was me I would cut the nut off and start with a new one with good threads welded in place. Good luck and keep the updates coming!!

Yes, that would seem to be the preferred method. Keeping it properly located is important, which is the only reason I considered welding the corner closed.

My battery is on the charger and at about 80% should be good tonight.

Pressure plate bolts and new flywheel bolts came in today, so tomorrow night I'll be back at work.

Tonight I have my sons and we have to get fitted for tuxedos, and get some clothes altered so I won't get time to do any work. That's okay too!

I made progress tonight as the boys were doing homework

20axo20.jpg

I managed to get my welder sorted out and while I won't win any awards for welding this came out well for mig with flux core wire

1zph79l.jpg

paint is dry and it is back on the block with the flywheel. Tomorrow I'll get the clutch and pressure plate installed, and maybe the bellhousing and transmission if I am feeling my oats.

Finally I thought I would show you my rolling bench/engine stand

I would not trust it without the lift attached, but the lift is not holding any weight and after 6 days it hasn't creaked, groaned or settled that I can tell. It sure saves the back.

28uo685.jpg

I made progress tonight as the boys were doing homework

20axo20.jpg

I managed to get my welder sorted out and while I won't win any awards for welding this came out well for mig with flux core wire

1zph79l.jpg

paint is dry and it is back on the block with the flywheel. Tomorrow I'll get the clutch and pressure plate installed, and maybe the bellhousing and transmission if I am feeling my oats.

Finally I thought I would show you my rolling bench/engine stand

I would not trust it without the lift attached, but the lift is not holding any weight and after 6 days it hasn't creaked, groaned or settled that I can tell. It sure saves the back.

28uo685.jpg
Looks good Jeff! what kind of bike is that in that background?? The gold one looks cool!

The gold one is a 99 Harley Sportster, it is my normal relaxed ride or day tripper; the one with the Huge headlight is a 1998 Buell White Lightning 1203cc with an actual weight of just under 400 pounds and a little more horsepower than a 1970's era 302. It is my sanity check WOT for more than 10 seconds and I fail, more than 15 and I fail grandly. LOL

And the hole next to the nut was there before the repair so I didn't bother filling it in, I didn't burn a hole in the plate.

Didn't look like a sportster at first.... looked like an older bike the way the tank was sitting in pic. I had a Buell right after I got out of college. Man that thing was crazy fast!! glad I got rid of it when I did or I probably wouldn't have been around too much longer!

Well with the corbin solo seat and the retro paint, I get that a lot. I have a few mods done that support the retro theme and I've stripped off the belt guards which lightens up the look of the rear.

When the Mustang is running again, I am going to spend a couple of days on the Buell tweaking the clutch set up clutch and putting a better muffler on it.

Both bikes need oil changes and I have a Suzuki Bandit in the basement that needs some carb work and tires-but it is near the bottom of the current project list just ahead of saying something nice to my ex.

Cleaning up those engine stand scuff marks on that floor is going to be a pain.
I've got wood floors in 6 rooms and a 85lb Golden Retriever that's an inside dog, at first we were concerned about the scratches now we just look at them as adding character to the wood.

Thanks for keeping us posted Jeff, nice project.

Today's update:

Flywheel bolts lubed, locktited and torqued for the final time.

Clutch and pressure plate installed, loctiited and torqued down

Bellhousing installed onto transmission-the Lakewood has again bit my ass and required taking it apart after the 1st assembly attempt so that I could clearance the front plate on the transmission for one of the nuts that hold the clutch fork pivot-but a burr, a die grinder, some WD-40 and we're good top go.

14iory0.jpg

I wrestled the transmission and bellhousing into place as using my motorcycle jack on the transmission just didn't allow the angles and the ability to turn it to engage the splines as I needed. It is now all on the floor of the garage and I am done for a little while.

htwktz.jpg

Later on I'll touch up some paint, clean up the tools, organize the garage and try and enlist some help to install the engine tomorrow.

Well the engine and transmission are in place, though there is still a lot left to do. I have to say putting them in assembled was too challenging to complete without some help, but I only needed assistance to push the engine into position as I lowered it the last bit onto the mounts. Rear of the car was up in the air as high as my Jack stands could safely support it, and I used a ratchet strap from the transmission to the rear axle to pull the transmission into position.

Note to others-plug the tailshaft of your transmission or fill after install LOL

slpqj7.jpg

2hcdyk7.jpg

I think I am going back to work for the next few days and get some rest :)

Back