Mystery part..what is it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenstang71

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code, light pewter 4 spd. ram air, no stripes, no spoiler, deluxe or sport interior needs compete restoration .
Hello, this was laying on my floor with other random parts when I got my car. Can anyone tell me what it is for? It may not be a mustang part at all. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6146.JPG
    IMG_6146.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6147.JPG
    IMG_6147.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
I'm pretty sure that is a thingamabob.:LOL:

Seriously, I don't recall coming across anything that looked like that when I disassembled my car and I took it down to an empty shell and I don't see any Ford stamping on it either, sorry.

Looks very similar to a package tray (back deck) retainer to me (my 72 coupe has 2 that look like these one on each side .....hidden from view behind the upper back seat cushion

BUT...to liven this discussion up a little and have some fun...maybe it’s a “piston return spring” ....or maybe even “alternator fluid“ retainer reservoir bracket...lol

Pony,
I believe it's the alignment tool for the SUPER Cobra Jet version NOT the standard Cobra Jet!!
That’s a common believe to most but, a little research will show you that one of the things that made it “ Super” was the omission of the muffler bearings being replaced by the hydraulic header injectors.

You guys are soooo funny!
Seriously, after close inspection, (photoshop) I can see that this bracket was hand made. I think someone left the bracket in the car to create this thread of guesses for the next person that owned the car. To give us all something to do with our spare time. My guess It' a replacement vacuum canister bracket that hasn't been welded to the canister yet.

It was to secure the bottle that the Smoke Jeannie was kept in. No idea where the bottle is now and whether it has been opened.

Back