Neat Ford 351C 4-V Marketing Manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Thanks for sharing, learned more about the 4V engine, a good read. Interesting that it talks of stainless steel head gaskets and a one piece metal intake gasket and their importance for the 4V.

Jim

Attachments

• 351 Cleveland.pdf
    3.6 MB
Wow, loved reading that! Really makes me regret having sunk all that coin into my 408 wheezer... I have a '71 351CJ sitting on the shop floor collecting dust.

That is a great read for detail-nuts and gearheads, but it is in reality just a little on the propaganda side. Much selling of typical engineering of the day as "advanced" or unique to the motor, with the prose written with an inference that maybe Ford pioneered most of the technology.

Remember, Chevy really developed and brought to the masses the poly-angle valve technique with thier "porcupine" heads on the big block MK-IV engines in the early sixties.

Ford basically took that design, added thier own "improvements" and came out with the 385-series engines ( 429/460). Shortly thereafter, or maybe even concurrently Ford used much of this design technology when developing the mid-block sized "Cleveland" 335-series engines.

It is definitely a great design...far ahead of the older 390/428 designs, as well as the Windsor design.

Too bad the Cleveland, which was perfectly suited to take advantage of the horespower-crazed 60s customer was so ill-suited to survive in the emissions-saddled requirements of the 70s.

I'm so happy to read this kind of documents, for sure tomorrow I print this one!!!

So I read that for the code Q engine from 73, was dished pistons, an indication that can prove me that my block is still the original one, 4V Q code. (heads are 2V's now but my vin number shows a Q code 4V's).

Thank you for sharing:)

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is I'm squeezing out quite a lot of power and torque with the 400 in my old Bronco and with fuel injection it passes the sniffer cleaner than the old stocker ever did.

I believe and engineer in England came up the Hemi and the canted valve engine but not sure. Seems like his name was Ricardo? I know he designed hemi heads for the Model T & Model A, There use to be examples in the Harrah's car museum in Reno back in the 70's before everything got sold off.

I also thought the first version that GM made was a special racer version of the 409 in early 60's and then it came to market in the 396 maybe 65 and then the 427 in 66.

When they ran the 427 Mystery Motors in NASCAR, canted valves, porcupine engine, they all blew up at Daytona in maybe 62 or 63 if I recall and Ford still won.

The Harrah's car museum was a great place and I would spend days there every trip out west, 3,200 restored or original cars. He had a building with just engines of all types that I have never seen again. Lots were one of a kind.

It is very difficult to come up with a "New" design in an engine.

There will always be bench racing of who is the best or first that is what makes the world go round.

David

Back