Need a new voltage regulator, any recommendations on brands ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quality is #1,,

am looking at a Scott Drake repro blue with yellow lettering,, would look good with my blue 429 and yellow plug wires. But looks are secondary

the one I have is working but is at least 30 years old and looks rough. I have referb or replaced everything else under the hood.

1973 coupe factory 351 clev with AC

For show purposes, the repo looks correct, but for dependable service stick with a solid state regulator.

For OE look, take the cover off your existing regulator, repaint it Ford blue and apply the repop sticker. You can then install that on your new voltage regulator.

Those reproductions look nice, but I would not trust them for reliability. My best results have actually been with OE Ford solid state regulators that I scavenged off cars and trucks in the pick a part yards.

If you're buying new, get a Motorcraft GR540B or Standard VR-166 (not the 166T).

You can also find NOS electronic Motorcraft units on eBay under GR540A.

Last edited:
would this one fit the bill?
https://www.npdlink.com/product/voltage-regulator-alternator/100825/200432
have also heard a Motorcraft GR540B would work

Since you have factory a/c, I'm guessing/betting that you have a 45 or 55 amp alternator, in which case you would want the NPD # 10316-9A (which is blue with yellow lettering coincidentally) https://www.npdlink.com/product/vol...0316-9a&top_parent=200001&year=1965&year=1965

The concours-correct appearing voltage regulators all come from the same supplier, AMK.. That's where we get them from, and that's where Drake gets them from too.. Several years back (and maybe longer, time flies when you're going insane) AMK was having some serious quality issues with their manufacturer, BUT I'm 99.9% certain that they finally sorted and ironed all of that out, because it's been years now since I've seen an AMK voltage regulator claim or concern, and we move through a TON of them... So I think they're reliable and good units, not to mention they look correct.

Now, if quality and reliability is your 100% primary concern, forget the looks, just buy the Motorcraft GR540B electronic unit, and be done with it, it will outlast you.. https://www.npdlink.com/product/vol...10316-1&top_parent=200001&year=1965&year=1965

Rick
NPD

reliability is #1,,, the engine and car are already heavily moded. would it hurt anything to spray paint the silver regulators semi gloss black to blend them in ??
local napa has the ECH VR440,, and can order the Motorcraft GR540B.

is there anyyyyyy chance of a USA made one ?

quality is #1,,

am looking at a Scott Drake repro blue with yellow lettering,, would look good with my blue 429 and yellow plug wires. But looks are secondary

the one I have is working but is at least 30 years old and looks rough. I have referb or replaced everything else under the hood.

1973 coupe factory 351 clev with AC
I got mine at the local Ford dealer. Took 2 days to come in. Says Motorcraft.

reliability is #1,,, the engine and car are already heavily moded. would it hurt anything to spray paint the silver regulators semi gloss black to blend them in ??
local napa has the ECH VR440,, and can order the Motorcraft GR540B.

is there anyyyyyy chance of a USA made one ?

New, readily available? No... Old NOS aftermarket units from the 1970's? On eBay here and there I suppose.

For OE look, take the cover off your existing regulator, repaint it Ford blue and apply the repop sticker. You can then install that on your new voltage regulator.

Those reproductions look nice, but I would not trust them for reliability. My best results have actually been with OE Ford solid state regulators that I scavenged off cars and trucks in the pick a part yards.

If you're buying new, get a Motorcraft GR540B or Standard VR-166 (not the 166T).

You can also find NOS electronic Motorcraft units on eBay under GR540A.
I dont have air conditioning in my car. Did they make 2 different amp outputs on the regulator? also 2 different alternator outputs? if so? what regulator do I need?

Scott Drake now has the reputation of finding manufacturers of the lowest price and putting their name on it. Enough said.
Amen! I have nothing but trouble with scott drake parts.

Back