Need a new voltage regulator, any recommendations on brands ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quality is #1,,

am looking at a Scott Drake repro blue with yellow lettering,, would look good with my blue 429 and yellow plug wires. But looks are secondary

the one I have is working but is at least 30 years old and looks rough. I have referb or replaced everything else under the hood.

1973 coupe factory 351 clev with AC
AMK Products, Inc.
Phone: 540-662-7820
https://amkproducts.com/
They have reproductions with correct stamping for $42.

For OE look, take the cover off your existing regulator, repaint it Ford blue and apply the repop sticker. You can then install that on your new voltage regulator.

Those reproductions look nice, but I would not trust them for reliability. My best results have actually been with OE Ford solid state regulators that I scavenged off cars and trucks in the pick a part yards.

If you're buying new, get a Motorcraft GR540B or Standard VR-166 (not the 166T).

You can also find NOS electronic Motorcraft units on eBay under GR540A.
Amen brother!
I recently went through blowing/smoking several new VR'S until Hemi killer gave this exact advice. I pulled one from a wrecking yard and Wa-La it still works great! Thanks for the very sound advice.

Back