Need Help with Brake Lights/Turn Signals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumblefish

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
1971 Mustang restoration. I have running lights and tail lights. 4 way flashers work front and back. I don't have turn signals or brake lights. I tested the brake light switch at the pedal and one side has power, when I press brake the other side lights up with a test light. I was missing a flasher behind my glove box but when I installed that flasher, nothing changed. Any suggestions? TY

It could be in the wiring harness that runs up the steering column to & from the turn signal switch, or in the turn signal switch. The brake light circuit runs through the turn signal switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be in the wiring harness that runs up the steering column to & from the turn signal switch, or in the turn signal switch. The brake light circuit runs through the turn signal switch.
Bingo.  Bad turn signal switch.

Okay, replaced the turn signal switch. I put in a new flasher by the glove box and the directional indicators work beautifully. Thank you. Now, Next problem: When I put foot on brake pedal, the brake lights light up for for a split second then go dead. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The just dim and don’t go out? I would guess bad ground or corroded bulb sockets.
They flash bright for maybe a 1/10 of a second then go dead. Every time I push down on brake pedal they do this.

The brake lights share a 15 amp circuit breaker with the emergency flashers. The breaker may be weak, or the brake light switch or circuit may have a short. The circuit breaker is self resetting, after it cools it will energize the circuit again.

Back