Need information on 1972 mach 1 dash...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilPuppetMaster

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q - code
Can you guys tell me what goes into the hole left of the light switch?

Working on restoration of my Mach1 interior but don't know what to buy to close that hole

03b7869414b495bceb77a855aafe7fe4.jpg

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

That amount of distance from the light switch is normally where a park brake warning lamp would be located. You could check for a white switch with a plunger on the park brake pedal. If your Mach1 is equipped with the Convenience Group option the park brake warning lamp would have been included. The option also included trunk light, glove compartment light, map light, under hood light, head lights on warning buzzer, automatic seat back release, under dash courtesy lights, and a glove box lock. If your vehicle has any of the items listed then it has the very desirable Convenience group option.

I have nothing there on my 73. Does it look factory or someone drilled it?

Tim

Can you guys tell me what goes into the hole left of the light switch?

Working on restoration of my Mach1 interior but don't know what to buy to close that hole

03b7869414b495bceb77a855aafe7fe4.jpg

Thanks

Alex

As Secluff stated, check to see if you have some of the convenience group options. Here is a pic of what goes in the hole you are missing. It lights up when the parking brake is pushed on. If your car did not have the convenience group option then your dash would not have this hole.

2mgvara.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In 71 the Deluxe seat belt option (standard on the vert) included a warning lamp that was also located on the left lower part of the dash. After 12/1/71 all 72/ Mustangs carried the Government mandated seat belt light/warning buzzer system with the warning lamp now located on the passenger side of the instrument panel.

Interesting that there are so much difference in where the seat belt light lived from year to year. On my 73 the seat belt light is on the passenger side.

It might be related to whether you had a clock on the passenger side or not, but even to find a parking brake like in that spot next to the light switch just seem like weird engineering change.

Perhaps just a where only the seat belt warning existed only for the driver side back in 1971.

Mine has the Convenience Group and it has a light there but I don't remember if it's for the belts or the parking brake. I think it's belts......

Thank you very much guys for all your responses...

My interior has been stripped by PO and I am missing lots of original equipment...

I do however have light under the hood....

Trunk lid has been replaced. I will eventually order Marty Report for it to find out if it did indeed have convenience group option.

By the way, it is 72 q code mach 1 car

Alex

I don't know how much help this will be, mostly because mine's a '71. But, here's a shot of mine (sorry for the bad pic), with the following items showing (from right to left):

• Lights switch
  • Park indicator
  • Rear window Defroster switch (missing)
  • Defroster indicator

attachment.php

From what I can tell of the hole in your dash, it's factory (too round and has a keyway not to be - nobody made that nice of holes back in the day) and probably the "Park" indicator. Mine has the Convenience Group package (trunk light, glove compartment light, map light, under hood light, head lights on warning buzzer, automatic seat back release, under dash courtesy lights, and a glove box lock), but no "Belts" light.

All cars had parking brakes... makes sense to me that all cars would have "Park" indicators.

I don't know how much help this will be, mostly because mine's a '71. But, here's a shot of mine (sorry for the bad pic), with the following items showing (from right to left):

• Lights switch
  • Park indicator
  • Rear window Defroster switch (missing)
  • Defroster indicator

attachment.php

From what I can tell of the hole in your dash, it's factory (too round and has a keyway not to be - nobody made that nice of holes back in the day) and probably the "Park" indicator. Mine has the Convenience Group package (trunk light, glove compartment light, map light, under hood light, head lights on warning buzzer, automatic seat back release, under dash courtesy lights, and a glove box lock), but no "Belts" light.

All cars had parking brakes... makes sense to me that all cars would have "Park" indicators.
Thank you.... It's going to be hard to find that park lamp indicator since nobody is reproducing it...

Alex

I may have a seat belt indicator lamp for a 71...yes, I know it isn't a parking lamp, but at least it may fill the hole.

My 71 has a wiring harness as an add on with assembly tag D1ZB-10C895-AB. This included the plug for the light, the plug for the warning buzzer, and plug to get power. The wires to the light are purple/white hash and purple/ora hash.

[attachment=43027]

I may have a seat belt indicator lamp for a 71...yes, I know it isn't a parking lamp, but at least it may fill the hole.
Hi

I am interested. Can you pm me the price please and I'll send you my address...

Alex

My 71 has a wiring harness as an add on with assembly tag D1ZB-10C895-AB. This included the plug for the light, the plug for the warning buzzer, and plug to get power. The wires to the light are purple/white hash and purple/ora hash.
Thanks for info.... I did the search on Google for that part number and returns 0 matches....

Hi

I am interested. Can you pm me the price please and I'll send you my address...

Alex

PM sent

Back