Need NON-ethanol gas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody is going to accuse Project Farm of following scientific method.  But he has a loyal following and I believe his experiments have merit regardless.

I do agree with Stanglover, it would be best to avoid ethanol all together.  Also, I believe the reason ethanol became en vogue was partly to offset rising oil costs, but mostly as a way to provide a government subsidy to corn farmers.  It would be hard to take that subsidy away at this point.  We certainly pump more than enough oil domestically with the rise of fracking to dump ethanol entirely.

I got some pics of the cooler install and the one I used. I was able to fab up two brackets one mounted to the radiator support and the other goes to the center grill and hood latch bracket. They both used the factory holes so I did not drilling and did not have to add anything that was not already there. 

The hard lines coming from the transmission in my car had been altered so I just added a barbed hose connection just behind the radiator support and ran flex hose through existing hole in the radiator support. I use the fuel injection hose clamps they are smooth and do not mess up hose. The cooler came with two barbed connectors if I remember correct. I just put a toggle switch down under it and put a fuse connector at the solenoid. I always unhook my battery so have to go under hood anyway. You could put a switch inside if you wanted. I got a couple brass plugs for the hook up to the radiator to close them off. I figure will help keep the trans cooler and take that heat of the radiator also. The return line is cool when I check it. Don't remember who I ordered from.
Nice, Thanks for the pics and write up. Can you say how loud the fan is ?  Can you hear it over the standard radiator fan noise . Any idea what would happen if you forget to turn on the switch , could you fry your transmission ? If i do this, I'd probably install a solenoid that turns on the power when the aux is on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the reason for ethanol being added to fuel is to increase the oxygen content of gasoline, reducing knocking and reducing the amount of carbon dioxide and unburned fuel in the exhaust. It replaced an oxygenate additive called MTBE, that was polluting ground water/drinking water and causing rotten tasting water. 

No, I'm not a fan of it either. I use Lucas fuel treatment for valve lubrication, fuel system cleaning, fuel stabilization, and water reduction in the fuel. It also helps reduce the effects of ethanol. However, if you're going to store your car you'll need to drain your tank, fuel lines, and carburetor.

As far as not turning the fan on the cooler it is really not needed. Most transmission coolers are just the coil the fan is just an add on. The line going back to the transmission is way cooler than the coolant in the radiator I do not have a optical temp gauge but it is hardly warm to touch now. When in the radiator it was hot could not hold it. 

As far as not turning the fan on the cooler it is really not needed. Most transmission coolers are just the coil the fan is just an add on. The line going back to the transmission is way cooler than the coolant in the radiator I do not have a optical temp gauge but it is hardly warm to touch now. When in the radiator it was hot could not hold it. 
That is even better news. I was hoping to not use the fan. Mostly because of the noise, but also just because of the complication. This is going to be my next project. I have not been driving to work because of hot hot it is here.

Since I am not going to be using the fan, why pay for it. Do you think that this would be a good option ?  I'd figure out how to mount it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LY8FRP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3B850ZGIPDG3A&psc=1

thanks again

One more thing in setting up a car too run 10-15% Corn Likker. You need to go one too two size larger jets. Likker is high in octane, but lower in energy potential, in other words you gotta put more in thar too make the same power. It ain't about saving money, Likker is waay more expensive than gas. It's about votes & campaign contributions. The feds subsidize & pay for it all keeping huge Farm conglomerates out west happy.

Back