New brakes for the Muscletang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
As you can see in my previous post today I got a lot more power which means than I am going faster in the track. Plus the last time at Road America the rotors where in their last leg. With speeds approaching 140 mph and needing to brake quick at Turn 1 I needed more stopping power. This is my third brake upgrade so if anyone reading this is planning on tracking your car, please save yourself time and money and go with the bigger brakes you can get. In my case I upgraded to the biggest kit Wilwood has for our cars which is with a 14" rotor needed 18" wheels. I am already running 18" wheels so that was not much of an issue. So the kit is their 140-16496 (https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/B...=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Disc+Brake+Spindle). I picked mine with slotted rotors and no holes. You don't want to use the drill rotors for the track since they are more prone to cracking. They are good for looks and street use but not track where they are exposed to sudden temperature changes.
This mod went with not many glitches once you are past the fact that your wallet is thinner. These brakes are huge and should take a lot longer to heat up which will be perfect for the track. I was already running the DRP bearing spacers so I kept them with the new kit. This basically gives you a lot more load capability for the bearings. A welcome when you start pushing the corners hard.
If anyone is interested I will try selling my previous kit. This is Wilwood's 140-12945 with 12.19" rotors and 6 piston calipers, which is more than enough for most applications. Granted that the current rotors are at the end of life so new rotors would be in order.

20240830_132526_resized.jpg20240830_131814_resized.jpg20240830_131824_resized.jpg

Completely useless side post, but being from Wisconsin, Road America brings back memories. Spent a lot of time there and even launched a brand campaign and sponsorship for Hawk back in the day...when they did The Hawk at Road America. Love that place, haven't been in years.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 8.12.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-31 at 8.12.31 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back