New Carburator issue **update with Video's**

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
recently the car seems like its running a little rich (you can smell the rich exhaust fumes)

its a 302 w/ carb 2100

so I checked the timing and its right at 6 deg, the warm Idle with the lights on, and in drive is 550-575 RPM's

so I played with the 2 Mixture screws in the front of the carb, it runs much smoother, and the smell is gone, but, after driving for a bit, the car starts to sputter, and stall, I have to let it sit for a bit, then put the accelerator to the floor, and hope it starts up.

then when I got home it did the samething, and I opened the air cleaner, and it seems like its flooded.

then last night it did the samething, and after parking the car, you can hear the gas boiling in the carburetor.

is this related to the mixture screws I adjusted?

what is the proper way to adjust the screws?

Last edited by a moderator:
agree, the screws adjust idle mixture only and do nothing after about 1000 rpm

You may be able to clean the air bleeds with a can of carb cleaner, but usually they require a bit of disassembly.

Best way I've ever found to adjust idle mixture is with the engine off turn each screw all the way in, counting the turns and recording them until they lightly seat and then back out 1 1/2 turn for a base starting position. With the engine running and a vacuum gauge attached adjust each screw in 1/4 turn increments keeping them at the same adjustment point relative to one another until you reach the highest vacuum reading you can obtain then turn the screws in 1/8th turn. While this method may not be perfect for all carburetors, it has worked on quite a few. If no vacuum gauge is available, you can also perform it to highest engine rpm.

Also, go to the store and get some ethanol gas treatment and add it to your tank. If your carb is acting up, your fuel may not be perfect and could use the treatment

Jeff,

I got it working, after picking up a Vacuum gauge.

here is what I did.

I started the car to make sure all was good, less then 30 sec.

with the car off.

1.) I hooked up the vacuum gauge, and the Tachometer.

2.) I set the Idle mixing screws back down, then out 1 1/2 turns 3

3.) I started the car, and I adjusted the mixture to maintain the highest vacuum readings. (I only had to increase it by a 1/4 turn)

4.) let the car warm up. I then verified the RPM's with the car in drive, and lights on, and verified the timing (all was good and I didn't have to adjust them)

then I let the car Idle for almost 45 min, I then turned the car off, disconnected everything, and started the car back up (started much quicker then usual)

I got rid of the stalling, and the rich fuel smell :D

what I did find was that the mixture screws were almost 4-5 turns out, and one was more than the other.

Yikes! 4-5 turns out (rich) is really something. Looks like you paid for your vacuum gauge with your first tank of gas after your adjustment...Nice job.

do the mixture screws move over time with vibration?

back in early June I was getting 21 MPG highway. and 12-15 city, lets see if I can make the city MPGs better now.

In addition to a vacuum guage I will idle the car for 5 minutes after setting the mixture screws, pull a sparkplug and see how it looks then fine tune from there if necessary. I like to see a light to medium brown color on the sparkplug after adjusting the mixture screws. White is to lean - black to rich. I've always noticed that if you turn them out until until the vacuum guage JUST makes peak vacuum the idle mixture will be a bit to lean so an additional 1/4 turn out usually does the trick.

You've got it dialed in. If you want to take it a step further with your new vac gauge, try setting the timing by the vacuum. Leave the carb alone and advance the distributor to highest vac and take a reading with your light.

You've got it dialed in. If you want to take it a step further with your new vac gauge, try setting the timing by the vacuum. Leave the carb alone and advance the distributor to highest vac and take a reading with your light.
I tried that, and it worked perfect, I love that Vacuum gauge (my new toy)

be careful.

this method is not complete.

advancing the distributor will always increase vacuum because advancing timing automatically increases idle rpms.

here is what gets left out.

you are suppose to lower engine rpms just above stall at original initial timing.

so lets say original initial timing is 6 . you lower the engine rpm till just above stall, plug the vacuum advance, so you have no mechanical advance and no vacuum advance, take note of engine rpms you want smooth idle just above stall,, lets say this is 600 rpms.

so your starting at 6 with engine at 600 rpms.

hook up the vac gauge. take note of start HG reading.

now advance the distributor,, vac goes up, so does rpms. Readjust rpms back down to 600 take note of HG reading. repeat until highest reading. take note of timing, now you might be at 10-18 degrees now you have to think does that make sense for a street car, because you have tuned for max engine vacuum and power but will that work in the entire power curve.

reset Idle rpms to normal and go for a drive leave the vacuum advance off,, most times she pings, now you have to go back and reduce initial until she stops pinging. but you might need to back off another 1-2 degrees on top of that to tune back in the vacuum advance.

before you know it your back at 6-8 degrees initial after messing around in the 12-18 range. then you have the issue of a hot start, or dieseling. if you doing all this on a 60 degree garage day, what will happen in the middle of july on a 90 degree day after a highway run, you shutdown and she keeps running for a couple of seconds, or you get some fast food and park and she will not start to much timing.

all these involved type of tuning, methods usually work well in a small tolerance range but for a daily drive cause problems and before you know it your back at stock timing and 1.5 turns out on the carb idle bleeds because you had all kinds of little issues, shes bouncing at stop lights, engine stalls under heavy braking.

you get this weird balance were you want to tune the motor to run as efficient and clean as possible by the book numbers but it just doesn't work on the road in all situations.

now another interesting thing and many times people don't know an engine is pinging like crazy, they go by the seat of there pants. i had a situation a buddy with a chevy he has had it for years. finally got a chance to ride in it.. first thing i said was omg its pinging like crazy. he had no clue. i had him back off the timing and listen to what the engine sounded like night and day, also solved his buzzing noise, hot start problem.

now the outline i gave for a vacuum tune is missing even more information and steps. you then get involved with the idle bleeds and having to tune them for specific idle rpm. you can seriously spend days doing a vacuum tune.

again just a warning, for the simplest method of hooking a vacuum gauge then just turning the distributor getting the highest reading. you are increasing idle rpms and usually advancing way too far. it will make the car seem more powerful. your increasing idle rpms for a launch and advancing timing faster then usual if you have a stock distributor spring set.

down side, your dangerously closer to detonation at higher rpms, and one day you gun it on the highway miss a shift on a manual and the engine grenades. for an automatic you are causing long term ping/detonation that you may not recognize until a piston top melts or cracks and falls into the crankcase.

And i started out at one of those people that had an engine that pinged everywhere and did not know it because it seriously pinged all the time at every rpm. what saved me, was i had so many other problems i never drove the car and i was using a very cold set of spark plugs, because of a cooling issue. it took me years to figure it out.

there used to be a very comprehensive vaccum tune video on you tube it was about 90 minutes long but it is no longer posted.

be safe have fun...

72HCODE,

you have some Great info in there.

I did play around with different setting and watch the engines reaction, form black smoke out of the exhaust, it just not starting.

then I reset everything per the shop manuals, and my timing at around 6-8 deg, Idle is around 575-600 after it warms up, with the car in drive and the lights on.

it starts right up cold (its been in the 30's at night, and when warm it also starts right up, and I have no power loss when driving.

Back