New face

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas Davis

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I am new here. I have recently purchased a 73 coupe a few days ago. It has a 351c that I was told a crank bearing was rolled and would need to be replaced. After getting it home I was able to inspect it and found the #3 connecting rod bearing rolled and has gouged and will either need to be replaced or machined down. Right now we are just inspecting the rest of the car and planning what we are going to do with it.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.
When you get time, some photos of your new ride would be most welcome.
As for the motor, I'm not the guy to suggest the best options, but I think I'd look at a total rebuild so you know what you've got.
Good luck.

I will definitely add some pictures and I did forget to mention that the motor was rebuilt not long before I bought the car. The prior owner was driving it home when he lost oil pressure and pulled over. He towed it the rest of the way homeand there it sat for a while.

Welcome from NM. Kind of odd for a rebuilt engine to lose oil pressure. If it did in fact lose oil pressure there should be signs of that on the other rods and main bearings. Could also be bearing clearance issue or a connecting rod issue. Regardless, make sure you find out the cause so it doesn’t happen again.

Hello everybody

I am new here. I have recently purchased a 73 coupe a few days ago. It has a 351c that I was told a crank bearing was rolled and would need to be replaced. After getting it home I was able to inspect it and found the #3 connecting rod bearing rolled and has gouged and will either need to be replaced or machined down. Right now we are just inspecting the rest of the car and planning what we are going to do with it.
I bought my 1971 fastback 15 months ago as the 2nd owner and had it towed to a shop for fluid changes as it had been sitting in his garage for at least 2 decades. I was disappointed in the shop who didn't change the fluids and the 351C bent 3 push rods. I decided to rebuild the Cleveland engine and have just over $6,000.00 in a stock rebuild. Welcome to the current inflation situation. While the engine is out I decided to blast the engine bay and paint, ALL new suspension components, ALL new steering components including the PS gear. It is hard to know where to stop as I want a real nice ride including changing to a toploader.

Hello from Western Upstate New York! We hav e 2 11973 Mustangs, and love them both. Sorry to hear a newly rebuilt rngine ran into issue so soon. My guess is an oil galley that was cleaned out was supposed to be plugged at one endm aand wasn't. A bummer no matter the cause. I hope the re-rebuild works out better for you. I look forward to seeing some photos...

Attachments

• IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1073MachI_FrontAbove_20180608.jpeg
    1073MachI_FrontAbove_20180608.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
Back