new flexplate advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samckay

Reaction score
My Car
73 302
Just put 351 w (1979) and using the old C4 that was paired with a 302.  

I have the smaller bellhousing and it requires a 157 tooth flex plate.  Got a FRA 203 Pioneer flexplate that is slightly thinner.  

Want to give it one more shot before i throw in towel...  When i use the above i had some rubbing on spacer between the flexplate and engine block.

Wondering if someone can specifically tell me the best combo for this engine and transmission.  Have included some photos

Just put 351 w (1979) and using the old C4 that was paired with a 302.  

I have the smaller bellhousing and it requires a 157 tooth flex plate.  Got a FRA 203 Pioneer flexplate that is slightly thinner.  

Want to give it one more shot before i throw in towel...  When i use the above i had some rubbing on spacer between the flexplate and engine block.

Wondering if someone can specifically tell me the best combo for this engine and transmission.  Have included some photos

SamcKay,                                                                                                                                Any time I have a engine/ transmission combo that was not original to the vehicle. I like to clean up both the mounting flange at the rear of the engine and at the bell housing with a file and then block sand it smooth..                                                                                                                     You will be amazed how many high spots you may find.                                                              I will remove the dowels as well and make that area true and clean it's hole in the bell housing as well.                                                                                                                                        Remember to use sealant on the bolts for the flywheel /flexplate and correct torque specs.              clean all threaded holes and bolts.                                                                                             Boilermaster

Back