New mufflers : Dynomax Ultra flow. Do you like them ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hey guys, I wanted to order Flowmaster 40 mufflers for my Mustang but I have an opportunity to get a set of brand new Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers instead for a really cool price.

My engine is a 351C stock H-code with Hooker headers and Pypes exhaust (with X-pipe). I currently have Pypes Violator mufflers that are really good, but that's not what I wanted at first.

Do you guys used or heard those Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers ? I know they flow very well but I'm not sure I'll like the sound of them.

reports say that flowmasters are actually very restrictive and just sound nice.

anything straight thru should be the hot ticket.

I was watching an episode "Gearz" on YouTube. They were saying that baffle style mufflers just aren't as efficient as the "straight through" such as Cherry Bombs and Magnaflow.

I was watching an episode "Gearz" on YouTube. They were saying that baffle style mufflers just aren't as efficient as the "straight through" such as Cherry Bombs and Magnaflow.
LOL at the end of his show when they run the credits they are also a sponsor. you are talking tenths at the most, you will never see it on the street. Sound is another thing now.

Here's my report:

The prevoius owner of my car had quiet stock type mufflers on. The first thing I did

was swap the stockers for Flowmaster 40s. With just muffler change, it felt like it picked up about 15HP, very noticable power increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mufflers may allow you to free up restrictions and increase horsepower, but "feeling" the additional horsepower is mostly just in your head

When shooting guns, the muzzle report will "trick" you into feeling more recoil.

Loud guns don't necessarily really kick any harder than quieter ones, but I will bet dollars to donuts that if you take a dozen shooters and have them shoot guns with identical mechanical recoil, all will say the louder ones kick more.

Muffler changes may increase horsepower, they may even increase it by 15 horsepower under the circumstances described. But with all due respect, you cannot "feel" a 15 horsepower increase in a 3500 pound vehicle. 0-60 time, 1/8 mile time 1/4 mile time, top speed, gas consumption, and many other things can be measured and will help to identify true horsepower increases, but unless you are sitting on a dyno, your ass can't tell that there was a 15 horsepower gain.

I don't know... when I put a K&N 'cone' style filter on my '95 Civic VX, it got a little louder as the throttle opened further, and my 'ass-dyno' registered a noticeable improvement. Of course, we're talking the difference between 91 and 95 horsepower on a 2100-lb econo-box.

Just to be safe, slap a couple of name-brand performance stickers on it somewhere and it'll increase it to 25 hp. LMAO!

LOL at the end of his show when they run the credits they are also a sponsor. you are talking tenths at the most, you will never see it on the street. Sound is another thing now.
I just saw a post about "posts" from Tn and it said 6,006 post also.

Is that as high as the counter can go?

About mufflers, need some exhaust work and have glass packs now.

I like the way they sound, but there is no glass left.

mike

Well, it was an episode about Cherry Bomb mufflers. But logic would tell you the muffler with baffles (that block and redirect) the flow would be more restrictive than a system that doesn't.

While working at APEX Motorsports in Santa Clara CA, a mustang club came in with their '03/'04 Mach-1's and did an exhaust comparison. They had FlowMaster, SLP, Magnaflow and two others I don't recal. The test car was stock except for shorty headers and a Bassani X-pipe. After they dyno'd all the mufflers, the magnaflow made the most power with 6rwhp more than the next.

Well, it was an episode about Cherry Bomb mufflers. But logic would tell you the muffler with baffles (that block and redirect) the flow would be more restrictive than a system that doesn't.

While working at APEX Motorsports in Santa Clara CA, a mustang club came in with their '03/'04 Mach-1's and did an exhaust comparison. They had FlowMaster, SLP, Magnaflow and two others I don't recal. The test car was stock except for shorty headers and a Bassani X-pipe. After they dyno'd all the mufflers, the magnaflow made the most power with 6rwhp more than the next.
Sounds like a good test, apples to apples kinda deal

Hey guys, I wanted to order Flowmaster 40 mufflers for my Mustang but I have an opportunity to get a set of brand new Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers instead for a really cool price.

My engine is a 351C stock H-code with Hooker headers and Pypes exhaust (with X-pipe). I currently have Pypes Violator mufflers that are really good, but that's not what I wanted at first.
What didn't you like about the Violators? I don't think I've seen/heard a set in person but people seem to really like them.

Do you guys used or heard those Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers ? I know they flow very well but I'm not sure I'll like the sound of them.
I've run them on a couple of cars and really liked them... but it seems like the configuration and the car greatly affect the results. I thought they sounded good and kind of mellow on a couple of my cars, my brother thought they and a nice bass note but too loud. I've had one that I've moved from car to car and been happy with and my brother claims that he blew the packing out of his in a little over a year.

What didn't you like about the Violators? I don't think I've seen/heard a set in person but people seem to really like them.
I actually like them, but not on my car.

IMO they are a bit roo agressive and raspy, especially at wide open throttle. They sound good and everyone can hear you but have a very special trebly tone that I don't like on a classic car.

I think they should sound very good on modern cars, like "opening" the muffled stock sound of modern cars.

My Ultraflows are coming on friday, I think I may like them : they sound like a good balance between a straight through muffler and a "chambered" tone. I like what I heard :)

I'll do a muffler comparison video when replacing the Violators.

Here's my report:

The prevoius owner of my car had quiet stock type mufflers on. The first thing I did

was swap the stockers for Flowmaster 40s. With just muffler change, it felt like it picked up about 15HP, very noticable power increase.
Felt like really doesn't say much, was it actually faster? A louder, more aggressive sounding car is fun to drive and feels faster... I have a trans am that I cut the exhaust, put flanges in so I can remove 3 bolts, and drop the muffler section off the back of the car in a couple of minutes. I would do it at the track and I was able to make back to back runs, and _never_ saw a difference between the full stock exhaust and just straight pipes on a low 11s car (lots of spray), but of course, everyone including me felt like it picked up 50hp when you took the exhaust off of it

To be honest, the Pypes SFM04S kit needed major cutting/soldering to fit well.

So much that we decided to remove the tail pipes for the moment as I wasn't happy with the way we finished the exhaust. Now I need to buy more 2.5 inch pipes to finish it.

Other than that, the Pypes kit is great and not that expensive.

I recently faced a tranny leak and we had to put the car on an hydraulic ramp to fix it, here is a video, you can see the dumped version of my exhaust :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQAtyJ9xlfw

It's really loud and agressive like this, I like it when I don't use my car more than 30 minutes lol after this I suffer of ear fatigue ! I get tons of resonance in the car.

The video does not show very well how it really sounds because I just kept the motor @ 1500 RPM to increase oil pressure in the tranny.

X-pipe + Violator mufflers is a really agressive setup, especially that dumped setup :D

The Chevelle in this video sounds quite SIMILAR as my Mustang on the road (funny because it's an H-pipe) :

I find the Violators too trebly and "opened" for my taste. I prefer darker exhaust sounds on old cars. One good point is that it doesn't drone with the tail pipes installed.

Back