New parts wiring problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas1973MustangMach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach1
HI pros!

I bought some stuff for my mustang.

Its a new starter and a single wire alternator

Here are the links

alternator

starter

I have a ford mustang 1973 with an engine switch to an 460cid engine

I dont know how to wire them correctly to the car.

The original alternator wire dont fit to the new one.

and i dont know how to connect the starter.

I also have a duraspark ignition system installed from 78 mustang i think... but that should be ok.

Thanks

Andreas

I may be able to help on the starter. I ran the main cable from the original style solenoid on the splash apron to the main terminal on the starter. From the main (battery) terminal on the starter I ran a jumper to the terminal that operates the solenoid (start). I don't have any pics, sorry.

HI pros!

I bought some stuff for my mustang.

Its a new starter and a single wire alternator

Here are the links

alternator

starter

I have a ford mustang 1973 with an engine switch to an 460cid engine

I dont know how to wire them correctly to the car.

The original alternator wire dont fit to the new one.

and i dont know how to connect the starter.

I also have a duraspark ignition system installed from 78 mustang i think... but that should be ok.

Thanks

Andreas
I'll be running into the same issues that you are having as I am doing the same mods. I'd be interested in hearing from others irt what they did with the voltage regulator.

Just a side note. I believe that you will need to fuse the output of the alternator so if you get a short you don't fry the wiring. I went with a 140A alternator and found a circuit breaker that I'll use for this instead of a fuse.

-jbojo

The alternator shouldn't be a problem. As far as I know, connect the alternator output to the hot side of the starter relay. The old wire probably should not be used as it is not likely heavy enough gauge for the increased output. Just trace the original wire back to the source and disconnect it. (or remove it altogether). Jbojo is right. You will want some kind of circuit protection such as a fusible link or a circuit breaker. (Not really a big fan of circuit breakers.... I have had problems using them in continuous duty high current applications.

HI guys thanks for the answers.

The only thing is... i come from austria (europe) and my english is as bad as possible :D

What do you mean with starter relay? Do you mean the solenoid or do you mean the starter? Because i have a new starter and now idea where the starter relay should be.

Some pics would be cool.

Yesterday i did the wiring of my new headlamps and the wiring of my new ignition system from duraspark.

Thanks

Andreas

The relay is bolted to the inner fender close to the battery. positive battery wire bolts to this...someone will be along with a pic soon as mine don't seem to want to paste for some reason

Last edited by a moderator:
Here be a photo of a '73 Mustang solenoid (starter relay) and regulator for reference. This pic is off the web, so not a photo that I took, nor did I caption it...

96815d1271904027-1971-351w-ignition-problems-s4300003-3-.jpg

The starter should wire in the same manner as the original one. The links you posted are down at the moment. Does the alternator have a large threaded post and a two pin connector? Most "one wire" alternators have three or two connections necessary. Obviously there will be a large gauge wire from the post to the battery side of the solenoid on the inner fender. If it is a quality unit it will have a visible voltage regulator mounted to the rear of the alternator( usually a gray rectangle) with two male spades. One will normally connect to the post along with the large gauge wire and the other will connect to switched power or be jumped to a third spade near the regulator.

Something like this:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0704_classic_ford_mustang_single_wire_alternator_install/photo_04.html

For the fusing of the alternator use a Littlefuse mega fuse and mega fuse holder. These are simply the best quality fuses and holders available and are used in many oem applications.

Do a search for :Littelfuse 298900 Automotive Single Terminal Fuse Holder

The fuses are available from 40 to 500 amps.

Good luck.

HI pros.

Thanks a lot. The alternator link is great thanks. thats the same i have.

The starter is this starter 429

I also searched a little ok i think the solenoid should now be no problem but the next is.

I installed a duraspark ignition system pic

It looks like this

my question is do i still ned the voltage regulator ?

If someone wich installed a duraspark system to his mustang would be cool if he can tell me what he did with the red and white cable.

Thanks guys

Thanks a lot

Andreas

HI pros.

Thanks a lot. The alternator link is great thanks. thats the same i have.

The starter is this starter 429

I also searched a little ok i think the solenoid should now be no problem but the next is.

I installed a duraspark ignition system pic

It looks like this

my question is do i still ned the voltage regulator ?

If someone wich installed a duraspark system to his mustang would be cool if he can tell me what he did with the red and white cable.

Thanks guys

Thanks a lot

Andreas
About the little fuse mega fuse.

Wich amp are recommed? I have a single wire 140amp alternator

Regards

Thx

Latest posts

Back