New Rear Spring Sway Bar Plate is too Narrow for the U-Bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td71mach1

Slow down for a second and that's where you Finish
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 4v
I decided to add a rear Addco sway bar to my 71 but the new sway bar plate from NPD is to narrow for the original U-bolt
plates on top and bottom of my original 4 leaf springs.
Did I get the wrong sway bar plates? Any Ideas?

Also the new "correct" U-Bolts from NPD are much shorter than my originals, they do measure at 5-3/4.
so much shorter that if I add the sway bar plate I don't seem to have enough thread engagement for the nut.

Maybe the spring mount plates on my car are not correct and their to wide?
My original U-Bolt holes are 4" wide
The new NPD sway bar plates holes for the U-Bolts are 3-1/4 wide.

I'm so confused...Thanks for your help!

Here are pictures of my original setup and what I bought and some side by side pictures of my dilemma.

Attachments

• rear spring mount.jpg
    rear spring mount.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 0
  • NPD Part Numbers.jpg
    NPD Part Numbers.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 0
  • U- Bolts.jpg
    U- Bolts.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Plate Difference.jpg
    Plate Difference.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 0
Per NPD's fitment guide. Should be the same, I'll be reaching out to NPD for clarification.

Attachments

• NPD Vehicle Fitment.jpg
    NPD Vehicle Fitment.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Just checked mine, so snapped these pictures that show my 73 Q-Code also has 3-1/4" spacing. Also, my U-Bolts are 6" in length, just a little longer than yours and you can see in my pictures how much thread is showing. I'd say you have a different rear end housing like Chuck say's above. I measured my Axle housing and it's 3" diameter, if this helps.
Bob

Attachments

• Rear Axle U-bolt A.jpg
    Rear Axle U-bolt A.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Rear Axle U-Bolt B.jpg
    Rear Axle U-Bolt B.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 0
First, was the sway bar the new REVISED Addco 990? (assuming you went with the 7/8" bar!!) It will work if they sold you the old design, but the new fit's much better at the frame mounts.
Here is a pic of my plates and U bolts. The plates are original, but when the new bar and rear springs were fitted, new U bolts/nuts are a must.

Attachments

• IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    812.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    731.4 KB · Views: 1
Likely thar you have a 71-73 Cougar rear axle in your car. The wedge/clamp/insulator combo was never used on a 71-73 Mustang. Your shock plates are wider to accommodate the extra parts. The Mustang u-bolts are almost butted up against the axle perch.

1714743774539.png

Last edited:
Likely thar you have a 71-73 Cougar rear axle in your car. The wedge/clamp/insulator combo was never used on a 71-73 Mustang. Your shock plates are wider to accommodate the extra parts. The Mustang u-bolts are almost butte dup against the axle perch.

View attachment 88318
Good eye.

Thank you Hemikiller, again (lol), and every one for your helpful comments and clarification.
I agree, additional research indicates a 71-73 Cougar setup.
I intend to switch back to 71-73 staggered shock setup.

Anybody have a pair of lower staggered shock plates they want to sell?

Thanks again everyone !

Thank you Hemikiller, again (lol), and every one for your helpful comments and clarification.
I agree, additional research indicates a 71-73 Cougar setup.
I intend to switch back to 71-73 staggered shock setup.

Anybody have a pair of lower staggered shock plates they want to sell?

Thanks again everyone !
Question; if your car is a 71 Mach 1 4V, why do you not already have staggered shock plates? Did you car originally have staggered shocks, i.e. M code 4V? If not very hard to retro fit.
Oh wait, I think I just realized what's going on. Someone thought they'd just through in a Cougar rear end rather than fix what was there and dumped the shock plates. Smart!!
I saw a pair listed on the Canadian Kijiji website for $450 Cdn. I think they may still be there. Too damn expensive for a Canadian buyer, but with the strong US dollar, they might be a good deal. I'll see if I can find the link and post it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-...toronto/vintage-ford-mustang-parts/1496710140

Last edited:
Stanglover, you are correct, previous owner swapped out, I never noticed until now doing a rear suspension rebuild and had a cup of WTF.
Thanks for the link, Pretty steep price but I have not found anyone who sells any repro sets yet.
Hopefully Someone on here might have a set, or I'll have to sneak into my wife's cookie jar.

Actually, the more I look at them they look like repops.
Maybe even a Maverick. The shock ears are too rounded and the R & L stamping
looks like it was written with a punch... I think should pass.
There are more correct ones on eBay $350-$375.

Yeah, those have some funny business going on.

You can just use two of the RH plates. FYI - looks like the pic is wrong.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/plate-rear-spring-rh-or-lh/104834?backurl=search/products?search_terms=5796&top_parent=200001&year=1973&year=1973
So, two RH plates will work on a staggered shock setup?
I assume you just rotate the RH plate 180 and everything lines up for staggered?
Waaay less $$ the an OEM piece, mine is more of a resto-mod anyway.

I'm just curious now. If you car has a swapped in Cougar rear axle, what was the shock set-up on that? It wasn't staggered shock or the plates would be there I'm thinking.
So my question is; did your car originally have staggered shocks?
I mentioned this before, but did not get a direct answer. Something just seems weird here unless of course I'm missing something and that's entirely possible!
The link to Kijiji is quite useful to keep for many other ads for parts. Don't forget the dollar difference is strong for US buyers right now.

Back