Newish 5 speed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sure does. T-5s were always marginal at best for any performance use and good cores are getting tough to come by. The TKO series required floorpan surgery to not end up with a wonky driveline angle combo. Hopefully the TKX fits and shifts as well as they say it does. I'll wait to see how the early adopters make out before making a decision. 

For what it’s worth, my TKO 600 was a pretty straightforward swap with the help of the Modern Driveline kit. Required zero modification to the tunnel. 

I do know that earlier mustangs require modification to the tunnel but haven’t seen that with ours. Tremec also already made a low profile version for 65-70. 

My guess is that this is them expanding gearing combinations for the TKO, making it look a bit more streamlined and are taking the lead from LS engine naming conventions. LS1, 2,3,4,5... eventually I think GM just made the LSX for the performance aftermarket. Looks like a refinement rather than a quantum step. 

Kenny Brown mentioned that transmission on his Cars & Coffee youtube a week ago. He did recommend it to someone for an upgrade. I did get a T-5 few weeks back at a pretty good deal. He had gone to the drag strip after putting new clutch and Hurst shifter in. After running he decide to leave the slicks on and drive home, bad idea. He hit a wet spot and totaled his 1995 GT. From what I have read about that is the last year for the 5.0 and it has better steel in the gears and better syncro pack. So he sold me flywheel that I can't really use on the 351 due to balance, the new clutch, throw out bearing, bell housing, transmission and Hurst shifter for $550 and delivered it to my home. I saw his ad on Facebook Marketplace like 20 min. after he posted. Will give it a try in my track days car if I get to build it. Running on track is not like on drag strip you have trash, oil, rubber and crap so not as hard on the transmission and you are not banging them like on drag strip. Can't afford to go with new stuff, lol.
I think Kenny Brown said his first choice is a T-56 with a Barton shifter. I did not know he was the builder of the Saleen Mustangs that ran on track seems like starting in 1986 and won several years in the endurance class of SCCA. Saleen is sort of like Shelby someone else did all the work and he gets credit for the car.
I missed his C&C this morning at 10:00 I slept in was raining and tin roof outside bedroom puts me to sleep. You can go to youtube and do replays when he was talking about the transmission was on NMD, National Mustang Day April 17. It is live and you can send in questions you might have every Saturday at 10:00 am eastern time.

20210221_174624.jpg

20210223_153123.jpg

For what it’s worth, my TKO 600 was a pretty straightforward swap with the help of the Modern Driveline kit. Required zero modification to the tunnel. 

I do know that earlier mustangs require modification to the tunnel but haven’t seen that with ours. Tremec also already made a low profile version for 65-70. 

My guess is that this is them expanding gearing combinations for the TKO, making it look a bit more streamlined and are taking the lead from LS engine naming conventions. LS1, 2,3,4,5... eventually I think GM just made the LSX for the performance aftermarket. Looks like a refinement rather than a quantum step. 
Same here with mine using their kit.

Back