No one likes the 71-73. Even Plymouth..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, let's see...is Plymouth still around? Is the Barracuda around? Is Ford still around? Is the Mustang still around?

I rest my case.

Thanks for posting the video - interesting and entertaining to some extent as well.

From my perspective, public perceptions seem to end up being a strong driving force in many ways. What i find interesting is when you compare for example a '71Cuda or Challenger convertible with a '71 Mustang convertible in detail, the Mopars don't come away with a bigger or much better overall car than the Mustang does.

I do think think the Mopar body styling, Cuda and Challenger convertible, is very good looking and classy in many ways,and i like it very much, but i also think that the body styling of the 123 Mustang convertibles are fantastic in their own right as well, and i love that styling very much too. There is nothing more outstanding about the Mopar interiors compared to the 123 Mustang interiors in my opinion.

So that said, we have a public perception that because a small limited number of Mopar convertibles were made, we have ended up with a completely rediculus situation of these model cars commanding crazy over inflated asking prices that are completely beyond the reach of the average guy who would want to buy one and/or restore one.

This stupid end result didn't and hasn't gone that way with the '71 or the 2,3 Mustang convertibles, because greater numbers of those year models were made. They were just as good of a car compared to the Mopars. To back up my point, sales figures proved what was the more popular and better selling car back then anyway.So what's all the big fuss about these Cudas and Challengers then. All i can think of, was just the small number of them that were made at the time. To me, that doesn't justify the crazy asking prices that these cars have on them today.

But ah, that all comes down to public perception, which ends up producing a false, over inflated market situation doesn't it.:whistling: If it's rare, it's got to be worth a squillion dollars no matter what it is. Rubbish!

IF IT'S RARE, IT'S GOT TO BE WORTH A SQUILLION DOLLARS!!!

That's the way i see it.

Greg.:)

I also think our 7173's look sort of "jazzy". Whats the bracket on passenger side of the rear window around 1.10 in the video? Something for rear defrost?

I also think our 7173's look sort of "jazzy". Whats the bracket on passenger side of the rear window around 1.10 in the video? Something for rear defrost?
Yep...that is a plastic shield that protects where the rear defrost wires plug into the glass. Here is a pic of my car where you can see on the passenger side.

19wn14.jpg

Yep...that is a plastic shield that protects where the rear defrost wires plug into the glass. Here is a pic of my car where you can see on the passenger side.

19wn14.jpg
Nice looking interior!

Last edited:

19wn14.jpg
Nice looking interior!
Agree and power windows too!

The infomercial did do a pretty good job pointing out some of the same stuff that I find annoying about my 71 Mustang. They could have also added the location of the windshield wiper control being down by your right knee.

Dang! I'm selling my '71 right away, and buying a 'Cuda!

:p

But seriously, as someone else alluded to, the sales numbers told the real story - and obviously most people didn't see things quite the way that Mopar did: 1971 sales totals for Mustang was just under 150,000 units, while Barracuda was just under...19,000. :whistling:

Back