No Wonder My Gas Mileage Was So Bad

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
A few weeks ago I drove about 70 miles round trip to a car show. When I got home I realized I had used about a half tank of gas! I had noticed a faint smell of gas but thought my auto choke was hanging up. I checked for leaks and didn't notice any at first, then I saw some seepage on top of the fuel pump where there is a seam around the top edge.

So I ordered a Carter Fuel Pump, M6092, from Rock Auto. The fuel pump in the picture on their website looked just like the one on my car, but the one in the box I received had two vertical connections instead of the hose connection coming out at a 90 degee angle. Upon further research and comparison of the other dimensions it appears this style is a suitable replacement so I installed it today. Runs fine and no leaks so far!

A few weeks ago I drove about 70 miles round trip to a car show. When I got home I realized I had used about a half tank of gas! I had noticed a faint smell of gas but thought my auto choke was hanging up. I checked for leaks and didn't notice any at first, then I saw some seepage on top of the fuel pump where there is a seam around the top edge.

So I ordered a Carter Fuel Pump, M6092, from Rock Auto. The fuel pump in the picture on their website looked just like the one on my car, but the one in the box I received had two vertical connections instead of the hose connection coming out at a 90 degee angle. Upon further research and comparison of the other dimensions it appears this style is a suitable replacement so I installed it today. Runs fine and no leaks so far!

Don't forget to check your oil and make sure the fuel pump wasnt dumping fuel into the block.

Don't forget to check your oil and make sure the fuel pump wasnt dumping fuel into the block.
Good point, I'll check that out in the morning. That happened to a lawn tractor that was given to me by a neighbor. She had bought a new one and gave me her old tractor. It was only a few years old and she couldn't figure out why the oil was full of gas. I checked it out and the carb/fuel pump was messed up and leaking gas into the oil. I fixed it fairly cheap and offered her money for the tractor but she refused.

Back