Occupations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ex-Navy ET, now I'm a building automation system engineer. Not rocket science, but it pays the bills and a lot of commercial businesses are upgrading to more efficient HVAC systems, so it's pretty secure work. And now I can ship the 'stang down from Washington, so I'm a happy camper!
Hey, Steve. Welcome aboard. I'm a former 8404/8432 - served active from '78 - '84 and some reserve time after that. Can you share a bit of your story?

Doc

Ex-Navy ET, now I'm a building automation system engineer. Not rocket science, but it pays the bills and a lot of commercial businesses are upgrading to more efficient HVAC systems, so it's pretty secure work. And now I can ship the 'stang down from Washington, so I'm a happy camper!
Hey, Steve. Welcome aboard. I'm a former 8404/8432 - served active from '78 - '84 and some reserve time after that. Can you share a bit of your story?

Doc
Hi Doc! Oh yeah, like most vets I like talking about the good old days! I was a 1471 - TACAN tech. I was in from 1996-2004, served on the USS Hue City (CG-66) from 1998 - 2001. Never had to go to the Gulf, but we made lots of drug interdiction ops during my time onboard. Missed the Gulf by about 3 months!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been Disabled since I shattered both my heals Nov 2008. I started out as an auto mechanic at a local Ford dealer, did that for a while and went in the USAF. Got out in 93 and started working at a big Pharmaceutical company in vaccine production, 3 years later went to maintenance. worked on all kinds of things I have never seen before. learned boilers, steam fitter, plumbing, electronics, WFI water (pure water) on and on.. Learned how to weld and started doing the precision Tig welding 316 stainless steel. tubing and flat stock. In 2001 I started my own business welding & fabrication on the side, did very well but wanted to stay with the full time job for benefits. around the same time I moved up to maintenance supervisor at the lab. I was one of those supervisors that was could not put the wrenches or tig torch down and was always out with the guy's. I had my accident and was out for 6 months and had to go back before my feet were healed ( that is all the time for short term disability) I only lasted 2 1/2 months and had to leave again for more surgery, that was the end of my working. I can still do things that does not require lifting heavy, but I can only do them for very short periods of time. It take me a long time to do things anymore!!

So in a nut shell that is what I do, as far as the $ for the mustang... retirement $$ Just hope it does not run out!!!

here are some pics, I really like welding!!

the ss tubing looks the same inside as out, purge welded.

the cage I just made to see if I could do it, and yes it has steps!!

mar192011 033.JPG

cage 001.JPG

cage 002.JPG

I have been Disabled since I shattered both my heals Nov 2008. I started out as an auto mechanic at a local Ford dealer, did that for a while and went in the USAF. Got out in 93 and started working at a big Pharmaceutical company in vaccine production, 3 years later went to maintenance. worked on all kinds of things I have never seen before. learned boilers, steam fitter, plumbing, electronics, WFI water (pure water) on and on.. Learned how to weld and started doing the precision Tig welding 316 stainless steel. tubing and flat stock. In 2001 I started my own business welding & fabrication on the side, did very well but wanted to stay with the full time job for benefits. around the same time I moved up to maintenance supervisor at the lab. I was one of those supervisors that was could not put the wrenches or tig torch down and was always out with the guy's. I had my accident and was out for 6 months and had to go back before my feet were healed ( that is all the time for short term disability) I only lasted 2 1/2 months and had to leave again for more surgery, that was the end of my working. I can still do things that does not require lifting heavy, but I can only do them for very short periods of time. It take me a long time to do things anymore!!

So in a nut shell that is what I do, as far as the $ for the mustang... retirement $$ Just hope it does not run out!!!

cool stuff I love welding stainless but it does shift a lot when it cools down.

Looks like you have real talent for metal and welding work. I'm glad you still able to enjoy your retirment to some extent, even with the bad heels.

Looks like you have real talent for metal and welding work. I'm glad you still able to enjoy your retirment to some extent, even with the bad heels.
Thank you and I keep trying every day. my new saying is, one step at a time!!!

IT geek in downtown Seattle.

I do help desk, system administration, networking, and some minor database admin work. Right now I'm doing some web work for our CEO's *personal* website. VERY company related. :rolleyes:

Im a building controller for CB Richard Ellis and we have a contract to look after all the Provincial Government buildings across Ontario.

I also am a marine mechanic and do that nights and weekends.The marine work pays for all my toys.

Bob

Wow - MAD welding skills! Nice work.

I drive locally for a company that supplies rock products to a large concrete and asphalt company I normally pull double trailers (belly dump and side dump) around at or near 129 thousand pounds. Great thing about that is I have 600 horsepower at my command all day! Here is a pic of the truck I drive the day we got it.

I can appreciate that, This one is an 07 bought used because they bought several of those clean air certified cummins and your right about the piece of crap part! Mine has the 600 cummins with no reburner!

I can appreciate that, This one is an 07 bought used because they bought several of those clean air certified cummins and your right about the piece of crap part! Mine has the 600 cummins with no reburner!
The first time I had to regen it took 20 minutes now it takes 55 minutes what a joke.

The first time I had to regen it took 20 minutes now it takes 55 minutes what a joke.
I have not heard the guys that have them complain about wait times on that issue. That really sucks, I am glad I have this older one it has been a good truck. You gotta love the tree huggers!:mad:

I have not heard the guys that have them complain about wait times on that issue. That really sucks, I am glad I have this older one it has been a good truck. You gotta love the tree huggers!:mad:
It's a good thing I am paid by the hour.

Back