Oil.... again

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alrighty, I will pick my oil based on all the info you guys gave me, thanks for that.

Now, before I change the oil... The car has been hibernating and weather overhere doesn't allow me to take it for a longer ride. For the oil change I need to drive the car onto the ramps but should I just change the oil then or let it run for another while (how long) to warm things up a bit and then change?

I'll also clean out the driver's side valve cover and replace the gasket. That's where I add the oil right? There are channels in the cyl. head that make the oil go down in to the engine?

On my newly rebuilt 429 cj engine, I have gone with Lucas synthetic with their zinc additive. Not my decision, my engine builder swears by this stuff and that is what he put in it for initial engine breakin, so synthetic it is...

Alrighty, I will pick my oil based on all the info you guys gave me, thanks for that.

Now, before I change the oil... The car has been hibernating and weather overhere doesn't allow me to take it for a longer ride. For the oil change I need to drive the car onto the ramps but should I just change the oil then or let it run for another while (how long) to warm things up a bit and then change?

I'll also clean out the driver's side valve cover and replace the gasket. That's where I add the oil right? There are channels in the cyl. head that make the oil go down in to the engine?

Thanks guy but oil isn't the question anymore. I'm just wondering if 5-10 minutes of idling will make the oil runnier when letting it out and how the oil goes into the block from the valve cover.

There are drain holes in the corners of the heads

Thanks guy but oil isn't the question anymore. I'm just wondering if 5-10 minutes of idling will make the oil runnier when letting it out and how the oil goes into the block from the valve cover.
Yes to warming up the engine, let it get to operating temp, drain a few hours and refill on the drivers side valve cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are drain holes in the corners of the heads

Yes to warming up the engine, let it get to operating temp, drain a few hours and refill on the drivers side valve cover.
There are drain back holes in the corner of the heads

Ah yes, the age old Oil question. This is one of those topics that's like toothpaste and shaving cream.....many people are satisfied with completely different products.....and I'll join in the fray here. Of course, use what works for you, but for ME....I've been using a straight Valvoline 30wt Racing, ( which has zinc in it ) with an additional additive ZDDP added for break-in. After break-in, I drained and re-filled with just Valvoline 30wt Racing. it's been 15 years now since I re-built the engine, and I drive it everyday back-and-forth to work, tow the ski-boat, and run all my errands with it. Here in Los Angeles California, it doesn't get cold enough outside to need a 10-30, although it wouldn't hurt a thing, I just don't need to.

I am the engine assembler at a well known performance engine shop which has been around since 1965, we do everything from very vintage restoration engines to all alloy Top Fuel Hemis to every day stock. We sell Brad Penn break-in oil as well...It's a good oil and many customers request a special break-in oil, so we supply what they want. What people tend not to know, is that many racing engines, and most newer factory stock engines are roller cam equipped, and really don't NEED a break-in oil. Do you really think John Force puts 500 miles on his fueler before changing the oil and going out to race? For the most part, break-in is for the older flat-tappet solid or hydraulic cam and lifters to wear in together, here is where zinc is needed and racing oils have zinc. As for rings, today, hardy nobody runs just plain old cast iron rings like the old Flathead Fords and Stovebolt Chevys came with since possibly the sixties. Most overhauls, even conservative re-builds will use Moly-faced top rings with ductile iron seconds, and these will seat in quickly. So there isn't really a need to pay more for a special break-in oil ( you're going to change it in 500 miles anyway aren't you), but if you'll sleep better, it surely won't hurt a damn thing. As for multi-grade weights, you be the judge as to your existing climate. New cars with tighter clearances require multi-grades. Finally, Synthetics....synthetic oil doesn't break down like a mineral oil may after a time, but changing the oil isn't just to rid yourself of broken down oil, changing oil is to get rid of whats now mixed into the oil. Moisture, carbon deposits, fine particulates not caught in the filter continues to be trapped in oils, even synthetics, and I'd rather change my oil more often than brag about how many miles I have on it. In Aircraft School, we learned that here in the U.S.A., the FAA mandates a mineral oil be used for internal combustion ( piston ) engines, and only certifies synthetics for turbines and gearboxes, where the synthetic oils do not come into contact with the combustion process. Food for thought. Although I know many people swear by their synthetic oil, I'll stick with a petroleum based oil...but then...it's like toothpaste and shaving cream, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
[dutch] Ik zou, als olie zwart is, en extra bosh paper PH8a filter kopen en 5 liters mineral olie by Brezan halen. Dan na 100km, alles weer verversen en nieuw fomoco filter zetten"

dan is zijn al je olie passages redelijk clean en je betere olie zal dan langer en better zijn werk doen[/dutch]

Vinnie,

That is a loaded question. Which woman is more beautiful with black, brown, blond, red, or auburn hair, lol. Lots of good oils out there not just one or they would not be in business.

My comments are from my experience driving since 1964 and building engines and having driven somewhere around 1.25 - 1.5 million miles in passenger vehicles without any engine failures.

In the older cars without the thin piston rings and seals for the thinner oils I run 10 W 40 Havoline. In the new vehicles like my F150 Ford pick up that just rolled 245,000 miles without taking the radiator cap off I use the Ford 5 W 20. For many years the Ford oil was Havoline just labeled Ford not sure who they buy from now.

I took a sample of the oil out of my 1973 Mach 1 that has not been changed in 34 years and sent for testing there were no issues with the oil after that long of just sitting. No water build up. High lead count due to leaded gas when it was driven last.

Which oil is better is sort of like asking which beer is better. I did a rough count at our local grocery the other day and 140 different beers on the shelf, lol. Is there only one good one?

Not abusing your engine and at least keeping some kind of oil in it is what counts.

My thoughts.

Back