Oil Pan Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetrickw

Reaction score
My Car
71 with a 351w. Engine in car. Need to get oil pan off since changing out timing chain and debris/water in pan. I don't have bolts in cross member (its welded). I have taken off pan bolts and it's free from block. I have taken off sway bar. My questions; If I jack up the engine under harmonic balancer will it be enough room to get it out (forward) with the jack there?, do I also remove none, one, or both motor mounts bolts before jacking up engine? Do I have rotate engine to make room clear rod connectors? Do I need to reach in and remove anything from oil pump area? looked at numerous posts all different, don't have engine hoist......thanks in advance. BILL

I don't know if it's possible or not in our cars, but have done it in others.

In general things you have to do are:

Loosen both motor mounts.

I like to use 2x4s between the engine and fenders to keep the engine from tipping.

Remove the oil pickup when you get enough room.

Remove the fan shroud and possibly the fan, depending on how much clearance you have.

You may have to rotate the engine as you pull the pan forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking no, but haven't tried it.

Maybe with the pick up tube and pump unbolted, maybe.

Just maybe.

Still have to clear the crank. Trans may hit the tunnel before there's enough clearance.

71 with a 351w. Engine in car. Need to get oil pan off since changing out timing chain and debris/water in pan. I don't have bolts in cross member (its welded). I have taken off pan bolts and it's free from block. I have taken off sway bar. My questions; If I jack up the engine under harmonic balancer will it be enough room to get it out (forward) with the jack there?, do I also remove none, one, or both motor mounts bolts before jacking up engine? Do I have rotate engine to make room clear rod connectors? Do I need to reach in and remove anything from oil pump area? looked at numerous posts all different, don't have engine hoist......thanks in advance. BILL
I was able to do it this way. Remove the motor mount bolts. Block of wood under the balancer and crank up the floor jack. I had enough room to pull the pan out. I can't remember if the oil pick up had to be removed, but I don't think it did.

I've done it with a Cleveland but not a Windsor but they should be close so I would say yes it can be done. I think you'll have to take off the oil pump pickup before removing the pan. As I remember it's a bit of a struggle but we did it on my car to remove a dented oil pan. I also replaced the oil pump and pickup and a leaky main seal and pan gasket. But we never took the motor out of the car so yes I think it can be done.

I've take off the oil pump, sway bar, radiator etc....and there's no way I can see to get it out w/out jacking the engine up. I did try and move the crank around and play with it, but no luck. I've seen videos saying it can be done, but I don't know how. Will jack the engine tomorrow.

oil pan.jpg

I've take off the oil pump, sway bar, radiator etc....and there's no way I can see to get it out w/out jacking the engine up. I did try and move the crank around and play with it, but no luck. I've seen videos saying it can be done, but I don't know how. Will jack the engine tomorrow.
I did have to remove the motor mount bolts and jack up the engine quite a bit then she came out...for anyone who wanted to do this.....my engine is a 351w.

A word of advice while that pan is off to help prevent any future leaks. Inspect the lip where the bolt holes are and check for any "coning" around the holes. This is due to over tightening of the oil pan bolts and can cause huge headaches. If you notice that it may need straightening, take a ball peen hammer or a trim hammer and carefully beat the inside of the bottom end of the pan lip against a hard surface (anvil, metal work bench, back side of a vice, etc.), this will flatten it out, preventing any leak. When replacing it, make sure not to over tighten, or you just wasted your time on those lips. Friendly tip from experience, this also happens a lot on transmission pans and valve covers. Good luck with this project!

looking back, it's  easier to pull the engine.  The amount of time to remove everything and then do a half A** job installing the pan gasket while it's in this FUBAR position isn't worth it.    Best to remove  the  351w in this one.

Back