Oil pressure sending unit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 Cleveland 2V
Hi Guys,

I have a question concerning my new oil pressure sending unit, my old one was leaking pretty bad and I decided to put a new one in.

So no problem, old one out new one in, so far pretty easy.

But now my guage shows me a totaly different reading, before there was a complete travel with an cold engine and about three quaters when hot.

With higher rpm it went to full again and that pretty fast, but now it is only one quarter when hot and that totally slow.

The guage react now in a different way, my dealer told me that for an 351C there is only one kind of pressure unit on the market.

So, could it be that the new one is alredy def, or there are different one's with different pressures avaible?

I have this car now for more than fourtheen years and never had any issues with this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Oskar

I've not had much luck with replacement sending unit (water or oil) inthe last 15 years. The coolants senders all read high and most of the oil sender read low. But there are two for the engine on with gauges and one without. The one you want looks like this. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/S334.oap?year=1972&make=Ford&model=Mustang&vi=1498261&ck=Search_oil+pressure+switch_03438_1498261_309&keyword=oil+pressure+switch&pt=03438&ppt=C0039

If the old one isn't leaking clean it, paint it (ACE 1236603/17049A Mirrored Gold) and put it back on. I save every original sending unit I come across.

Chuck

OEM (Ford) sending units are no longer available, and unless you find a NOS one, you'll have to buy an aftermarket sending unit. These are notorious for not being as well "calibrated" as the Ford units. As long as your oil pressure gauge shows a valid signal, you need to re-adjust your expectations of where it should read as "normal'. From there, any deviation from normal would indicate a problem or issue.

Back