Fuel sending unit preference?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang convertible
OK, so I have completed all the testing recommended and have determined that my fuel sending unit is in fact bad. Now I need to determine who makes the most reliable replacement unit so I'm not doing this again in a couple of years. (last one only last about 5 years) I have read that the ones with plastic floats are junk and should stay with ones with a brass float. Also, I have read that the Spectra units have the fuel line connection facing the wrong way. (towards the rear of the car) I have seen pretty good reviews on the Doorman 692-232 SS model. The Doorman site says they sell through NAPA but they say they are not available right now. NPD sells a SS unit that is Scott Drake, but it looks like the other brand they sell that is marketed by ACP (All Classic Parts) and it looks just like the Doorman unit. Do any of you guys have any experience with the ones I have mentioned or know of another manufacturer that I should consider? Nothing beats experience!! Thanks

OK, so I have completed all the testing recommended and have determined that my fuel sending unit is in fact bad. Now I need to determine who makes the most reliable replacement unit so I'm not doing this again in a couple of years. (last one only last about 5 years) I have read that the ones with plastic floats are junk and should stay with ones with a brass float. Also, I have read that the Spectra units have the fuel line connection facing the wrong way. (towards the rear of the car) I have seen pretty good reviews on the Doorman 692-232 SS model. The Doorman site says they sell through NAPA but they say they are not available right now. NPD sells a SS unit that is Scott Drake, but it looks like the other brand they sell that is marketed by ACP (All Classic Parts) and it looks just like the Doorman unit. Do any of you guys have any experience with the ones I have mentioned or know of another manufacturer that I should consider? Nothing beats experience!! Thanks
I’d pull it and make sure the floss isn’t full of gas. If so,you can buy the float separately. Also while out,you can watch the gauge needle in response to movement of the sender’s arm

Good idea regarding the float, and I appreciate the suggestion about the Desert Classic unit but $160 is pretty steep. Is there not an aftermarket unit for a decent price that is actually reliable?

When I changed my tank for a Spectra Premium (Canadian made) I bought the Dorman 692232 sender from RockAuto. As I was installing a new empty tank, I added 5US gallons 19 liters of (premium) gas and by jacking the car up high on the left side (using 2 jacks ) I was able to calibrate the sender to read 1/4 tank with the car set level, (20US gallon tank) That was 4 or 5 years ago and never been a problem except it sometimes does not read right to full, but then I don't care about full, only empty.

Hi all,
The best one to rebuild is the OEM one if you can I had mine done and converted for one with return line for fuel injection. I had these people rebuild mine. The best thing is if you can get it re-plated with zinc then put it back together. The windings of aftermarket sensors do not match the "taper" of the OEM half the time. Make sure you use ford type fuel filter as there are ones that will slip upwards on the pickup tube and close off fuel. ( see drawing)

Dan & Samantha OHora
TriStarr LLC
(315)-712-0071 M-F 9:30am-4pm EST.

I have attached a drawing, plus the way to calibrate fuel gauge. The only issue is the vibrating voltage regulator you need to use instead of 5vdc supply for best results. I have a POL regulator but had to re calibrate all of the meters but there always the same at a given temperatures.

Attachments

• inside fuel gauge.jpg
    inside fuel gauge.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Adjust Gauge .png
    Adjust Gauge .png
    851.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1695327470364.jpeg
    1695327470364.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 1
  • 1973 Mustang Fuel Sender .pdf
    392 KB · Views: 2