OK, I'm a nerd... But what do you think re: actual RPMs vs expected

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOWOWOWOWOW!

OK, just let me say that swapping out my rear end is the single best performance upgrade I've done thus far.

I can also confirm that my car actually did have a 2.75 rear end. I counted the teeth... 44/16 = 2.75.

So, my torque converter must have still been "slipping" at highway speeds, because all indications pointed to a 3.25 gear set.

Let me also say that going to a 3.89 would have been a mistake if I had not upgraded to an overdrive tranny.

With my 2.75, I was getting really low RPMs at cruising speeds, and a reluctance to downshift. But now with the more agressive gear set in the rear, the car behaves like a freakin' beast. I absolutley LOVE the way the drivetrain works together now. All this time, I had it in my head that the existing gears were 3.25, and therefore, was expecting a moderate improvement. BUT DAMN!!!!! going from a 2.75 to a 3.89 is AMAZING! Very streetable... and quite a sleeper now :)

So, in summary: Wide ratio AOD + 3.89 Trac-Lock = Friggin' AWESOME, even with a EPA neutered 1973 351 2V.

Don expressed some initial concerns, that going with a wide ratio AOD and a 3.89 gear set might be a little too agressive for a street cruiser. I'm happy with it, although. I probably would have been just fine stopping at 3.70 or maybe even 3.5.

Now, off to modify my 10-best performance upgrades in Ken's thread.

Cool. Very glad to hear your report.

So my spreadsheet gives a theoretical optimum first gear ratio range of 9 to 11 as being optimal. Now that you have this installed I'd like to hear what the rpm and mph shift points are for normal, non-aggressive street driving. Maybe a video even? Big :D

If you have a 4-speed (top gear around 0.7:1 or lower), then I would say either 3.7 or 3.89.

One thing to think about, is speedometer gear... I have a 23-tooth speedo gear in mine, and it would be more accurate with a 3.70 gear set. As it is now, the speedo thinks I'm going a little faster than I am... so slightly steeper than 3.89 would tune it right in.

Tire size is another factor when choosing speedo gear.

Back