Old leaf springs laying around?????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
With the help of BKD I was able to get some old leaf springs he was not useing and remove the small leaf for the part number as well as the leaf clamps which were the correct OE pieces. I was able to reuse enough of the clamps to get one spring done, but need three more to finish the other spring. If you have some old leaf springs sitting around that have lost the arch in them could I possibly get the clamps off them. I have attached a picture of what I am looking for. The OE clamps have a round hole vs a square hole. The problem is that the little tab that bends over tends to wear thin from the elements over time and often break off. If you have some clamps and would not mind taking the time to remove the clamps I will pay for mailing them. The replacement clamps have a square hole. One clamp is bigger to go around the entire leaf pack and the other two are smaller just to go around two leafs.

IMG_20130302_155241_927.jpg

IMG_20130302_155255_408.jpg

IMG_20130302_155320_719.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I"m doing new springs & would love to help,but I"m going for surgury & won't be able to get to mine for about 5 wks,you"ll probably find some by then,if not give me a shout later.

I"m doing new springs & would love to help,but I"m going for surgury & won't be able to get to mine for about 5 wks,you"ll probably find some by then,if not give me a shout later.
No responses yet, I will definitely keep your offer handy. Best wishes on the surgery, I hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

Just wanted to inquire again if anyone may have old original leaf springs laying around. Docs help with clamps didn't work out as we hoped. I really appreciate his willingness to help out though. If I could put this back out there again for 3 OE clamps I would appreciate it. One leaf spring set pack is done and I need to get three more clamps for the other spring pack to then install my axle and have her on all fours again in over 2 years.

Thank you

I'm getting ready to replace my springs. I have all the parts, but I go in for shoulder surgery tomorrow. Maybe later this week or next week, I'll be able to get the car over to my mechanic. I'll ask him if he can salvage the brackets. But it may be a week or 2.

Thank you to everyone! I may need to see if I can get sets from a couple of persons as the tabs that you bend to hold the clamp together tend to wear thin over the years and do not cooperate with bending back and forth to well. If either of you or anyone else has some OE clamps like are pictured above I would REALLY appreciate getting them for my last spring pack. I will pay postage and buy you a beer when we meet in person.

Thank you,

Brian

Mike,

I have a blast cabinet and can spend some time with some finishing discs to clean them up. I am willing to try anything if you are gracious enough to get them off for me. Regarding the bell shaped stamp on mine, I will see if I can find a punch that may match or try and make something up creatively. I have several extra rubber pads to work with so I am not worried about those to much. I will send you a PM regarding shipping.

Thank you,

CZ-75 Thank you. I have responded to your message. I am still looking for as many of these clamps as I can get. They don't hold up to well when trying to bend the tab back. I am hoping the more I can get the better my odds are on getting the springs done. Mach71351C and CZ75 look like they can help. Maybe she will be back on four wheels with their help.

Thanks to the BKD and Mach71351C I have all of the original clamps with the round holes and bell stamping in them refurbished and clamped on the leafs. I will snap a few photos and post up shortly. I will now at least be able to get her back on the rear axle. It has been almost 3 years since the original axle was under the car. Honorable mention goes out to CZ75 and 73vertproject for keeping me in mind. Thank you

Back