optics suggestions?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
1973 Grande
Deer season is around the corner and I'm looking for any suggestions for a red dot on a shotgun. Past couple years I've been pulling the Eotech off of the AR, which works really well, but I think it's time the shotgun had it's own red dot. So if anyone out there has a red dot they really like let me know what it is. Thanks!

I like Aimpoints better than Eotech, but they are both good. Using sabot shells in a good rifled barrel, and you can open up the practical range of a shotgun out past about 150 yards. I would recommend a good decent scope with range reticle over a red dot to be honesy

12 gauge? and it doesn't come off center when you shoot?
No, it's been pretty good. Of course I'm only shooting about 5 slugs before I pull it off the shotgun and put it back on the AR.

I like Aimpoints better than Eotech, but they are both good. Using sabot shells in a good rifled barrel, and you can open up the practical range of a shotgun out past about 150 yards. I would recommend a good decent scope with range reticle over a red dot to be honesy
The Aimpoint vs. Eotech argument is one probably better not to get started. I've never looked through an Aimpoint so can't weigh in on which i like better. I used a scope for several years but didn't like it because everything we shoot is within 50 yds. We're hunting in the woods and there's not much open ground. Also, don't want to spend the kind of money to purchase another Eotech or Aimpoint, rather go a little cheaper and put that extra money towards new floorboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a cheap red dot that I used on my M-11/9 that was like $60. I bought 2 and only used 1. I bought 2 because I was sure they would end up being disposable... lol. But it turns out to be a pretty good little unit. I'll sell you my extra one for $25 shipped if you want to try it. I have no idea if it will stand up to shotgun recoil, but it did very well on the 9mm full auto machine gun.

It's an NC Star reflex sight with 4 different reticles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a TruGlo red dot from Dicks on a Mossberg 500c 20ga slugster and it never came off center. For what it's worth.

I have a cheap red dot that I used on my M-11/9 that was like $60. I bought 2 and only used 1. I bought 2 because I was sure they would end up being disposable... lol. But it turns out to be a pretty good little unit. I'll sell you my extra one for $25 shipped if you want to try it. I have no idea if it will stand up to shotgun recoil, but it did very well on the 9mm full auto machine gun.

It's an NC Star reflex sight with 4 different reticles.
If it doesn't handle the shotgun recoil I can always put it on a different gun.

PM sent.

Back